Skip to main content

These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things

Actually, this is about one of my favorite things in our home: the mantle.

Many years ago, when I was a little girl and my hometown was still a wonderful community in which all of yours needs could be met without leaving its' one square mile, one of my mothers many purchases for us from the used furniture store down by the hospital on the river was this fireplace mantle.  Back then it was more off white than yellow and the barn red insert was a faux black & white marble.  It also came with one of those light-up electric log sets that had a tiny fan which blew strips of yellow, red & orange cellophane for that "cracking fire" affect.  I loved it!  I remember lying on the livingroom floor in front of it, in the dark, watching & listening to the "fire."

Fast forward to 2004.  I'm 29 and Mom decided to get rid of the mantle.  She told me if we didn't pick it up by the end of that weekend, she'd take it apart and get rid of it herself.  And I knew she would.  She was infamous for doing that when she made up her mind to get rid of something that was too big for her to move by herself.  (How exactly she was able to take furniture and even a TV apart though, I've no idea but she did it!)  Hubby and I brought it home that Sunday.

This mantle made three moves with Mom and two with us so far if you include that first move from her place to ours.  Unlike Mom who kept it plain with only a mantle clock on top, I decorate it for the seasons & holidays.  For some reason, it never dawned on her to do that and the first time she saw how I decorated it for Halloween, she told me she wanted it back!  Today it's adorned with Summer fare (yes, I know it's still Spring!): Pink & white roses from my garden, sea shells from Sandy Hook, a garland of red, white & blue barn stars, a nest of dried Spanish Moss from Charleston Harbor, South Carolina, a few candles & other knickknacks.  That small brown wood box with a lighthouse carved on its' lid is home to some of my mother.in.law's ashes. The electric log set is long gone and for the past couple of years I've placed large jar candles inside a John Deere firewood tub which give the soft, flickering affect of a fire when lit at night.  That carved wood cane?  Hubby found it after we moved here.  You've seen the end of A Miracle On 34th Street, haven't you? :o)

This mantle has probably been in my life some 30 years now!  I've no idea how old it actually is though I believe it's in the replica style of Greek Revival.  I've always lived in apartments and it has always helped make them feel like home.  The apartments I had in the ten years or so I lived without it never felt "just right."  Funny how an inanimate object can become so much a part of us!  I can't imagine our home without it.

Comments

There is something so very warming about a fireplace mantle, I agree. I have an obsession with fireplaces, electric ones. I like to keep one in my room. I pretend it's real of course. I would die for a real one. It's just so cozy :) Love your mantle Jo. And I love how you decorate it for each season. I love wrapping faux greenery around mine at Christmas.
So glad you dropped by Jennifer! I hope you're feeling better. I do the same around Christmas to ours some years :o) Hm, now I'm thinking we could use one in our room...

Popular posts from this blog

An Enchanted Garden Party

Welcome to my post! To visit other participants, please head over to the Practical Magic Blog Party 2010 blog. I must say that while I think Practical Magic the movie is adorable, I think the novel is incredible. And that is where I gleaned my inspiration from for these festivities. Gardens are mysterious, magical and enchanting, don't you think? Now follow me out into the garden, I have everything all ready for you, including music! (Turn your volume on). *Update: Music has reverted to my regular Fall soundtrack, 9/28/2010* For all of you non Practical Magic Blog Party folks, head on over to NJ Through My Eyes where I've posted 2 new slide-shows today; one is a preview of a new project I'm working on!

2009 Halloween Fete! (Saturday October 17, 2009) **UPDATED!** This shindig is still going strong!

Welcome! I'm so happy to have had so many visitors already! I must apologize for not being ready for you earlier! I also apologize for the wacky font sizes throughout my post. No matter how hard I try, I can't correct them. If music doesn't begin playing shortly after your arrival, scroll down until you see a purple music widget begin to load in the left hand column and wait until you hear the music before scrolling back up here. Happy Halloween Fete 2009! Love and Spookiness to All! ~Jo (Continue scrolling down until the end of the post) Outside, it's a gloomy & cold day here on the NJ coast. Many a restless Spirit wander here on days like this. One can never be too sure if the fog & mist are just as they seem. Inside, it is warm yet equally frightful! Creepy crawlies have gotten into the food & drink, I so hope you don't mind! What with all of the party hopping we're doing, I didn't want you to bust a gut, so I've laid out some Pumpkin Cook

A Walk Through The (Dis)Enchanted Forrest (Halloween Party Post)

Welcome & thank you for visiting my post! For more Halloween fun today & throughout the weekend, visit A Fanciful Twist . For more Halloween & Autumn Fun, check out my "Autumn Tuesday" & "Halloween Thursday" posts by clicking on their labels in the left hand column. ~Happy Halloween & Pumpkin Blessings! *Update for those friends wondering, I put this together prior to surgery yesterday to make sure I would be able to post it for today! (Though it didn't post at 12:01am like it was supposed to). Anyhoo, I'm home and resting (uncomfortably). Surgery went well, my kidney tube and stone are gone! I have an internal stent on the left hand side but I'm okay with that because it comes out in the doctor's office in 2-3 weeks (no back to the hospital) and especially because it meant they could take that nephrostomy tube out! (The last nearly 2 weeks of that 15 weeks was rough with that thing, my body was simultaneously trying to heal aroun