Skip to main content

Late To The Party - The Unlikely Halloween Fan

A snippet of my John Carpenter's Halloween collection.

Inspired by the many recent discussions and essays floating around the inter-webs about John Carpenter's Halloween + the upcoming David Gordon Green sequel of the same name, and with one week to go before the official opening, I decided to take a look at the roots of my own Halloween fandom. 

Back on October 25, 1978, I was nearly three and a half years old, and not at all aware of the soon to be phenomena that was John Carpenter’s Halloween released in theaters on that date. Three years later, when the movie aired on NBC TV for the first time on October 30th, I didn’t realize that the opening music and flickering jack-o-lantern would be stored away in my memory for a much later time. My mother quickly got up, switched the channel, and Halloween was forgotten.

Growing up, my mother wouldn’t allow me to watch horror movies on TV (not that many of those movies were on regular TV – no, we didn’t have cable), nor would she allow me to see them in the theater. When I was around eight years old or so, my mother’s boyfriend’s kids were babysitting me at the beach house our parents had rented for a week down the shore (in NJ) while they had a date night. One of the movies we watched that night was Friday The 13th Part 3. And it scared the ever living life out of me. From that point on, I avoided horror movies at all costs, even at sleepovers and summer camp. (The fact that my woodsy summer camp was directly across the highway from a state institution was horror enough for my summers, thank you very much!) When I was a teenager, my then boyfriend took me to see the De Niro/Nolte remake of Cape Fear and I nearly refused to walk back into the house afterwards because of the tall hedges on either side of the porch. (No, he didn’t walk me to the door). A few years later, I “watched” Scream from the kitchen of my first apartment while my friends tried, without success, to coax me back into the living room.

Fast forward 20 years from 1978. I was 23 and despite loving Halloween the holiday, and movies in general, I was anything but a horror buff. My boyfriend at the time was a horror buff (more like an addict, especially not just compared with me, but with other people I knew at that time). One day after work he mentioned Halloween and I commented that I’d never seen it.

Honestly, I think he would have been less shocked if I had told him I was pregnant. (insert eye rolling emoji here) Anyway, his disbelief that the ‘Queen of Halloween’ had never watched the Halloween solidified our plans for the night.

As soon as I heard the opening notes of the theme music and saw that flickering jack-o-lantern, I was transported back to my childhood, sitting on the livingroom floor, watching it on TV. I don’t remember much about that first watching of Halloween, at least not now, 20 years later. What I do remember is afterwards; lying in bed, staring out of the bedroom into the dark hallway at the moonlit shadows dancing on the front door. And being scared out of my ever living mind. Because Michael Myers was a different kind of monster, a different kind of evil. One that could easily be real at any time, any place. One I had already encountered.

I had been stalked by a violent ex-boyfriend and could easily relate to Laurie, despite her not knowing who Michael was or why he was trying to kill her. Typing this now, I’m wondering if that aspect had more impact on me than I’ve ever given much thought to. (Yes, I know: Duh). Ironically, the same boyfriend who introduced me to Halloween also later stalked me when I broke up with him, and during our relationship I was stalked and attacked by a complete stranger, who, unlike Michael in John Carpenter’s Halloween, was caught, but not until after he did the same to 3 other women.

In that same week back in 1998, I watched Halloween’s II through 6. In spite of the inconsistencies, and tending away from ‘telling vs showing’ (meaning the increase in splatter kills with each installment), I was hooked. And yes, my first in-theater Michael Myers experience was Halloween H20 in August of 1998, and at the time, I loved it, for that reason alone, and for the fact that Jaime Lee Curtiss was back.

But it’s John Carpenter’s Halloween that I am drawn to again, and again, and again… Why? That subconscious aha moment from earlier? It’s set on my favorite day of the year during my favorite season of the year? The friendships? The boundless theories that attempt to explain why Michael Myers does what he does, even though sometimes in this world, evil is just “purely and simply, evil”?

In 2017 when I first heard that there was going to be a new Halloween movie, and that not only was Jaime Lee Curtiss back again as Laurie Strode, but John Carpenter was involved as well? I may have jumped up and down a little. (Or a lot). I mean, I never really believed Laurie actually died in the beginning of Halloween Resurrection. It was too sad to think Michael had finally won, especially after the incredible ending of H20 where Laurie finally conquers her personal boogeyman with her own hands! (In the world of movies, it was entirely possible for her to survive being stabbed by Michael and falling from the roof of the institution). Then I heard that this new Halloween movie was ignoring ALL sequels and picking up directly from John Carpenter’s Halloween, forty years later. I thought, ‘Well that’s a first, and there goes the brother-sister dynamic, so this might be interesting.’ (But, I was initially excited for Rob Zombie’s remake of Halloween, and then I saw an advanced screening… Hey you either love his remakes or hate them. And I don’t love them). 

I want Laurie Strode to Win. Not Michael Myers. Laurie deserves to overcome and dispose of her boogeyman for good, once and for all. For all of us who never had that chance so that maybe we too can move on.

My Terminator-like “Once A Marine, Always A Marine” husband doesn’t understand my enthusiasm for Halloween. He’s unable to suspend his rational, problem solving brain and just enjoy it for what it is. (Yet, give a magical ring to some Hobbits who battle the evil that’s taking over Middle Earth with other assorted creatures & beings, and he’ll watch those movies beginning to end Every Single Time They’re On). Halloween is unrealistic to him because nothing scares him, nothing daunts him, nothing stops him. He’s a trained hunter. (And truth be told, also a trained killer). He’s the most respectful yet protective human being I’ve ever known. Since our first date, I’ve felt safe. At 6’3” 290lbs, not many people attempt to mess with him, because like Bruce Banner and The Incredible Hulk, they wouldn’t want to see The Marine angry. When he says about Michael Myers, “He wouldn’t see another Halloween if he tried to f*** with me or you.” I believe it.

Now I just have to hide The Marine’s warm weather inspector uniforms before one of my best girlfriends and I go for an early showing to see this new Halloween on October 18th

They’re very similar to Michael’s mechanic overalls…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Enchanted Garden Party

Welcome to my post! To visit other participants, please head over to the Practical Magic Blog Party 2010 blog. I must say that while I think Practical Magic the movie is adorable, I think the novel is incredible. And that is where I gleaned my inspiration from for these festivities. Gardens are mysterious, magical and enchanting, don't you think? Now follow me out into the garden, I have everything all ready for you, including music! (Turn your volume on). *Update: Music has reverted to my regular Fall soundtrack, 9/28/2010* For all of you non Practical Magic Blog Party folks, head on over to NJ Through My Eyes where I've posted 2 new slide-shows today; one is a preview of a new project I'm working on!

2009 Halloween Fete! (Saturday October 17, 2009) **UPDATED!** This shindig is still going strong!

Welcome! I'm so happy to have had so many visitors already! I must apologize for not being ready for you earlier! I also apologize for the wacky font sizes throughout my post. No matter how hard I try, I can't correct them. If music doesn't begin playing shortly after your arrival, scroll down until you see a purple music widget begin to load in the left hand column and wait until you hear the music before scrolling back up here. Happy Halloween Fete 2009! Love and Spookiness to All! ~Jo (Continue scrolling down until the end of the post) Outside, it's a gloomy & cold day here on the NJ coast. Many a restless Spirit wander here on days like this. One can never be too sure if the fog & mist are just as they seem. Inside, it is warm yet equally frightful! Creepy crawlies have gotten into the food & drink, I so hope you don't mind! What with all of the party hopping we're doing, I didn't want you to bust a gut, so I've laid out some Pumpkin Cook

A Walk Through The (Dis)Enchanted Forrest (Halloween Party Post)

Welcome & thank you for visiting my post! For more Halloween fun today & throughout the weekend, visit A Fanciful Twist . For more Halloween & Autumn Fun, check out my "Autumn Tuesday" & "Halloween Thursday" posts by clicking on their labels in the left hand column. ~Happy Halloween & Pumpkin Blessings! *Update for those friends wondering, I put this together prior to surgery yesterday to make sure I would be able to post it for today! (Though it didn't post at 12:01am like it was supposed to). Anyhoo, I'm home and resting (uncomfortably). Surgery went well, my kidney tube and stone are gone! I have an internal stent on the left hand side but I'm okay with that because it comes out in the doctor's office in 2-3 weeks (no back to the hospital) and especially because it meant they could take that nephrostomy tube out! (The last nearly 2 weeks of that 15 weeks was rough with that thing, my body was simultaneously trying to heal aroun