Skip to main content

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!


To all who are celebrating today, I hope you are having a lovely and safe holiday! This is my favorite Irish Blessing, which hangs in our hallway.

I got a later start this morning than I planned on, thanks to waking up with a migraine, but dinner is finished and ready for 5pm with a few hours to spare.


The corned beef brisket I buy doesn't have a spice packet, but that's alright because I use my own seasonings anyhow. I cover the brisket with water and add a few bay leaves, lots of fresh ground pepper, two dashes of mustard seeds, a dash of garlic powder, and a tablespoon of minced garlic. Once the pot comes up to a boil, I skim off the foam (and re-add some pepper if a lot came out with the foam), and then I simmer the corned beef for 3 hours, turning it over every so often if any of it is sticking out about the water line so it cooks evenly.

Corned beef and cabbage, with potatoes and with or without onions and carrots, is traditionally served to celebrate Saint Patrick's Day here in the US, and wasn't eaten in Ireland. At least not in my Nana's day! It was a religious holiday and traditionally a thick slab of bacon (about the size of a brisket) would be made with cabbage. 


In a separate pot, I prepare the potatoes and cabbage. (Because I do not have a pot large enough for the stove top to do it all in one). I take two cups of the liquid from the corned beef pot and pour it into this pot. (I then replace that with two cups of hot tap water which goes into the corned beef pot). I add all of the spices I noted above to this new pot. I take a fork and poke holes in several places all over red potatoes and put about ten of those into the pot. Then I cut up some cabbage, about half a head, and put that into the pot followed by however much water is needed to cover potatoes and cabbage, or within an inch and a half from the lip of the pot. I bring the pot to a boil, and eave it boiling for 15 minutes, or until the red skins have faded and a fork easily is able to spear the potato, then leave it on the lowest setting until the corned beef is finished.


This is only the second loaf of soda bread I've ever made! At the last moment, I decided to skip the raisins and caraway seeds in honor of my Nana, who *hated* either in soda bread. It looks and smells delish! I only hope it tastes as good as it looks and smells. (If it does, I'll share the recipe!)

My Nana is so much a part of this day for me. I miss her more than I can begin to tell all of you. I spend much of the day on the verge of, or in tears, as a result. It's difficult to talk about, especially today. And she was born on Christmas Day, but today it's harder. I don't know why. I've only one photo of her (and I) up in our home. When I've had more up, I dream about her constantly, and wake up sobbing every time as though she's just passed away, not now 15 years ago. It's too much. Anyhoo...


Once the corned beef finished its' three hour simmer, I placed it into a large dutch oven along with the cabbage, potatoes and all of the liquid from that pot. I skimmed as much fat as I could from the liquid in the corned beef pot, and then added several ladles full to the dutch oven to help nearly cover the corned beef. I added a bit more of the spices, covered the dutch oven and placed it in the oven at 225* to keep warm until it is time for dinner. It's just myself, the Marine and Mom, but as with any other holiday, I enjoy having a family meal with favorite foods.

All the while I've been in the kitchen, it has been another moody March weather day! Dark and gloomy to blindingly sunny and back again. Ridiculously windy again, too!


This is the view from our front porch earlier this afternoon! I couldn't see my phone screen much less that rainbow around the sun, it was so bright out there. It's fairly warm, and the windows are open, but that's supposed to end tomorrow with another cold front, so I'll enjoy this while it lasts!

For now I'll leave with with some last photos for today:




If you're celebrating today, what are you doing to celebrate?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Enchanted Garden Party

Welcome to my post! To visit other participants, please head over to the Practical Magic Blog Party 2010 blog. I must say that while I think Practical Magic the movie is adorable, I think the novel is incredible. And that is where I gleaned my inspiration from for these festivities. Gardens are mysterious, magical and enchanting, don't you think? Now follow me out into the garden, I have everything all ready for you, including music! (Turn your volume on). *Update: Music has reverted to my regular Fall soundtrack, 9/28/2010* For all of you non Practical Magic Blog Party folks, head on over to NJ Through My Eyes where I've posted 2 new slide-shows today; one is a preview of a new project I'm working on!

2009 Halloween Fete! (Saturday October 17, 2009) **UPDATED!** This shindig is still going strong!

Welcome! I'm so happy to have had so many visitors already! I must apologize for not being ready for you earlier! I also apologize for the wacky font sizes throughout my post. No matter how hard I try, I can't correct them. If music doesn't begin playing shortly after your arrival, scroll down until you see a purple music widget begin to load in the left hand column and wait until you hear the music before scrolling back up here. Happy Halloween Fete 2009! Love and Spookiness to All! ~Jo (Continue scrolling down until the end of the post) Outside, it's a gloomy & cold day here on the NJ coast. Many a restless Spirit wander here on days like this. One can never be too sure if the fog & mist are just as they seem. Inside, it is warm yet equally frightful! Creepy crawlies have gotten into the food & drink, I so hope you don't mind! What with all of the party hopping we're doing, I didn't want you to bust a gut, so I've laid out some Pumpkin Cook

A Walk Through The (Dis)Enchanted Forrest (Halloween Party Post)

Welcome & thank you for visiting my post! For more Halloween fun today & throughout the weekend, visit A Fanciful Twist . For more Halloween & Autumn Fun, check out my "Autumn Tuesday" & "Halloween Thursday" posts by clicking on their labels in the left hand column. ~Happy Halloween & Pumpkin Blessings! *Update for those friends wondering, I put this together prior to surgery yesterday to make sure I would be able to post it for today! (Though it didn't post at 12:01am like it was supposed to). Anyhoo, I'm home and resting (uncomfortably). Surgery went well, my kidney tube and stone are gone! I have an internal stent on the left hand side but I'm okay with that because it comes out in the doctor's office in 2-3 weeks (no back to the hospital) and especially because it meant they could take that nephrostomy tube out! (The last nearly 2 weeks of that 15 weeks was rough with that thing, my body was simultaneously trying to heal aroun