Skip to main content

Off The Shelf: Comfort Reads Within Reach

Aside from that never-ending pile of books I'm always trying to tackle, there are a few permanent fixtures at my bedside.

On my nightstand, which is actually an antique record player stand, (too dusty for a photo right now) I have several books nestled into the slots which have been there for quite a long time. Years in fact. And I've re-read them often and likely will continue to! Comfort reads I call them and that's what they are to me.

New England Fancies by W. Elmer Ekblaw from 1935, first edition with an inscription by the author, hardback. A gift from Hubbs back in June of 2007, bought downtown here in our coastal town at a tiny antique bookshop we browsed through after dinner at the Thai place and before a movie at the theater across the street. About each season in New England. It's such a wonderful book! I adore it (and Hubbs knew I would).

A Year In Provence by Peter Mayle, First Vintage Edition paperback, 1991. I found this gem of a memoir at a local library sale in September of 2008, after we visited a beach-side flea market on a very windy but perfectly Autumn Saturday. The library was celebrating their grand re-opening after renovations and expansion. (Sadly, this library was destroyed by the surge and winds of Hurricane Sandy last October. My cousin actually helped with some of the demo work via Habitat for Humanity earlier this year. It's unlikely they've been able to re-open yet). About Mr. Mayle's moving to Provence, it's a fascinating and engaging read and yes, I adore this book too!

Right after we left the library that day, Hubbs decided we were going to head out for an overnight getaway and took me to a Victorian B&B in a beautiful little town along the Delaware River! I couldn't sleep (Queen size bed + King size Hubbs* = Uncomfy me) and stayed up late into the night reading A Year In Provence. (I awoke in the morning sick as a dog with a cold! Getting sick kept me awake too I think).

*What I mean by 'King size Hubbs' is that he's 6'3" with broad shoulders and not a small man by any means!

Under The Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes, Broadway Books paperback 1997. Picked up at a local thrift shop around Easter of 2009. I saw the movie Under The Tuscan Sun for the first time in 2009 and fell in love with it! I couldn't wait to get my hands on the book and about jumped up & down when I found it at the thrift shop! Boy was I in for a shock that the memoir the movie is (loosely) based on is nothing like the movie! Once I got over my surprise (and a little disappointment), I had so much fun reading this memoir about renovating a home & living in Tuscany along with drooling over the all the delicious food talk!

The Help by Kathryn Stockett, Berkley Books movie tie-in paperback, July 2011. Bought at my local Barnes & Noble not too long after I saw the movie in August of 2011. An all time favorite novel and Southern Lit novel. I originally picked up the hardback of The Help in 2009, and started reading it, but I didn't read it and finish it until April of 2011. It always nagged at me that I didn't finish it, so I picked it for the evening bookclub and lead the discussion on it that April. I read the hardback with leading that discussion in mind, so while I truly liked the novel, I didn't enjoy reading it - if that makes any sense. After seeing the movie, I bought the movie tie-in paperback so I could re-read it for myself again. My ticket stub is taped to the inside cover. Another book I've re-read several times and adore. My Mom bought me the audio version as a surprise gift. I've lost track of how many times I've listened to it and I'm not a fan of audio books!

Watching the movie today made me realize something. I stopped wanting to hide my differences from everyone else so that I wouldn't be treated differently because of who I am (a disabled, stay-at-home married woman with no children, job or career) and, excuse my poor grammar here, I've become even more less accepting & tolerant of those who focus on differences instead of similarities. Because of this novel and its movie. Seeing it on the big screen really drove it home for me.

The last fixture on my nightstand isn't a book I read, it's a book I write in. A journal I started the day I had to let my baby girl go, the day she was lost to me. 14 years worth of entries and counting. I'll need to get a new journal for her soon, this one has only a few pages left.

So, aside from your never-ending stack of new reads, what are the permanent fixtures at your bedside?
 
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Comments

susan hemann said…
I have enjoyed three of the books you mentioned. I do collect vintage books too. Just bought a 1931 edition of The Hobbit.

Popular posts from this blog

An Enchanted Garden Party

Welcome to my post! To visit other participants, please head over to the Practical Magic Blog Party 2010 blog. I must say that while I think Practical Magic the movie is adorable, I think the novel is incredible. And that is where I gleaned my inspiration from for these festivities. Gardens are mysterious, magical and enchanting, don't you think? Now follow me out into the garden, I have everything all ready for you, including music! (Turn your volume on). *Update: Music has reverted to my regular Fall soundtrack, 9/28/2010* For all of you non Practical Magic Blog Party folks, head on over to NJ Through My Eyes where I've posted 2 new slide-shows today; one is a preview of a new project I'm working on!

2009 Halloween Fete! (Saturday October 17, 2009) **UPDATED!** This shindig is still going strong!

Welcome! I'm so happy to have had so many visitors already! I must apologize for not being ready for you earlier! I also apologize for the wacky font sizes throughout my post. No matter how hard I try, I can't correct them. If music doesn't begin playing shortly after your arrival, scroll down until you see a purple music widget begin to load in the left hand column and wait until you hear the music before scrolling back up here. Happy Halloween Fete 2009! Love and Spookiness to All! ~Jo (Continue scrolling down until the end of the post) Outside, it's a gloomy & cold day here on the NJ coast. Many a restless Spirit wander here on days like this. One can never be too sure if the fog & mist are just as they seem. Inside, it is warm yet equally frightful! Creepy crawlies have gotten into the food & drink, I so hope you don't mind! What with all of the party hopping we're doing, I didn't want you to bust a gut, so I've laid out some Pumpkin Cook

A Walk Through The (Dis)Enchanted Forrest (Halloween Party Post)

Welcome & thank you for visiting my post! For more Halloween fun today & throughout the weekend, visit A Fanciful Twist . For more Halloween & Autumn Fun, check out my "Autumn Tuesday" & "Halloween Thursday" posts by clicking on their labels in the left hand column. ~Happy Halloween & Pumpkin Blessings! *Update for those friends wondering, I put this together prior to surgery yesterday to make sure I would be able to post it for today! (Though it didn't post at 12:01am like it was supposed to). Anyhoo, I'm home and resting (uncomfortably). Surgery went well, my kidney tube and stone are gone! I have an internal stent on the left hand side but I'm okay with that because it comes out in the doctor's office in 2-3 weeks (no back to the hospital) and especially because it meant they could take that nephrostomy tube out! (The last nearly 2 weeks of that 15 weeks was rough with that thing, my body was simultaneously trying to heal aroun