Skip to main content

Thoughts Turn To Autumn

Over at My Spring Snow, my dear friend Brenda asked us to share with her our favorite part of Autumn and before realizing it, I'd gone on to write the following"

"I love everything about Autumn, except for it coming to an end, lol! I love the scent of woodsmoke and fallen leaves in the clear, refreshing air. I love the colors, the range of yellows, oranges, reds, purples and browns in nature. I love the sound of dried leaves being blown down the sidewalk on a quiet morning with the only other noise being crickets. I love the sights and smells of the first pumpkins and apple cider. I love being able to cook and bake without heating the house to an unbearable degree and making things like chili and stew again for the first time since early Spring. I love how Autumn fills me with inspiration and creativity. I love watching my garden wind down, seeing an unexpected pop of pink when a rose decides to re-bloom... I think I need to continue this on my own blog! LOL"

And so I didn't end up writing an absurdly long comment over there, I continue here:

I love the excitement that seems to fill the air during Autumn and having football on the TV on Sunday afternoons. I love having every window and door open from sun up to sun down and then some. I love oatmeal and steaming cups of tea in the morning. I love being able to enjoy the outdoors without the heat of Summer. (We get pretty humid at times here on the Coast year round so that's a constant as long as we live here). I love being able to spend hours around the fire and under the sky up at our home up North. (Because it's been so hot & humid even up there this Summer, we've only had 2 campfires since Spring!) I love when we get the occasional early snow fall up North, the white against the colors of Autumn is stunning! And as you all well know by now (or at least most of you do), I love Love LOVE Halloween and the month of October! Halloween is so much fun for me and gives me pure joy throughout the month. (Some get down once Christmas and New Year's pass, I get down when Halloween ends!) I love when the air turns chilly and it's time to break out the fleece! I love when it's cold enough to wear jeans again but warm enough to just wear a t-shirt with them. I love the rains of November (which we desperately need this year) and snuggling in amid candle light, books and tea while it pours. I just realized that every day of Autumn is a different sensory experience as it progresses and perhaps that's one of the reasons I like it so much as well. I believe I could go on and on, but I won't! (You're relieved, aren't you? I know you are!)

Now it's my turn to ask, friends, what do you love about Autumn?

(Photo of my Dogwood Tree in this post taken in our back yard this morning).

Comments

Leanne said…
here on the other side of the world - we are coming into spring. I JUST LOVE spring!

Love Leanne New Zealand.
I love early Spring, when everything begins to awaken from its' Winter slumber and colors begin to pop out one by one! Thanks for stopping by Leanne!
Lisa said…
Autumn used to be my favorite season but I've had such a hard time with it lately. It kind of makes me melancholy because I know winter is so close at hand. We had such a horrible winter last year, I think I'll spend all of fall worrying about it instead of enjoying the colors, the crunch, the football (never mind--I'll still enjoy that!), and the pumpkins.
Mrs. Fry said…
my two favorite seasons, Spring and Autumn.

thanks, Jo for sharing. It makes me excited just thinking about it!

And, I am so excited you are better and doing well and will be enjoying it to its fullest or should I say fallest. LOL!
LOL Brenda! Thank you, I'm happy too and looking forward to Fall like never before!

Winter is hard Lisa, especially when we can't stay home and enjoy snowfalls and ice because we know we don't have to go out in it. I hope you're still able to enjoy Fall this year. Take each day and season as it comes.
Lora said…
everything!
the leaves are starting to think about changing up in my hometown, and I thought of you when I saw the first yellow tree!
TheBookGirl said…
Autumn has always been my favorite season...When most kids were looking forward to summer and no school and the beach, I was the one who couldn't wait for September and new school supplies!

The things I love about autumn have not really changed since then...I still love new pens and freshly sharpened pencils...While we live in the city so I don't get to rake leaves anymore, that was one of my favorite things...the smell of the air and the leaves, and my mom's smile as I piled them up, only to jump in them and have to start all over...
This year autumn will be a little bittersweet for me as my daughter is starting college and I am adjusting to the idea that she won't be in the next room in the morning...
But, I will still go apple picking like we always did, and select the perfect pumpkin after compromising over the size with my husband :)
Mrs. Fry said…
Hey girlie, are you okay? You have been quiet this week! Hope all is well. I get worried when there is too much silence on your end.

Popular posts from this blog

An Enchanted Garden Party

Welcome to my post! To visit other participants, please head over to the Practical Magic Blog Party 2010 blog. I must say that while I think Practical Magic the movie is adorable, I think the novel is incredible. And that is where I gleaned my inspiration from for these festivities. Gardens are mysterious, magical and enchanting, don't you think? Now follow me out into the garden, I have everything all ready for you, including music! (Turn your volume on). *Update: Music has reverted to my regular Fall soundtrack, 9/28/2010* For all of you non Practical Magic Blog Party folks, head on over to NJ Through My Eyes where I've posted 2 new slide-shows today; one is a preview of a new project I'm working on!

2009 Halloween Fete! (Saturday October 17, 2009) **UPDATED!** This shindig is still going strong!

Welcome! I'm so happy to have had so many visitors already! I must apologize for not being ready for you earlier! I also apologize for the wacky font sizes throughout my post. No matter how hard I try, I can't correct them. If music doesn't begin playing shortly after your arrival, scroll down until you see a purple music widget begin to load in the left hand column and wait until you hear the music before scrolling back up here. Happy Halloween Fete 2009! Love and Spookiness to All! ~Jo (Continue scrolling down until the end of the post) Outside, it's a gloomy & cold day here on the NJ coast. Many a restless Spirit wander here on days like this. One can never be too sure if the fog & mist are just as they seem. Inside, it is warm yet equally frightful! Creepy crawlies have gotten into the food & drink, I so hope you don't mind! What with all of the party hopping we're doing, I didn't want you to bust a gut, so I've laid out some Pumpkin Cook

A Walk Through The (Dis)Enchanted Forrest (Halloween Party Post)

Welcome & thank you for visiting my post! For more Halloween fun today & throughout the weekend, visit A Fanciful Twist . For more Halloween & Autumn Fun, check out my "Autumn Tuesday" & "Halloween Thursday" posts by clicking on their labels in the left hand column. ~Happy Halloween & Pumpkin Blessings! *Update for those friends wondering, I put this together prior to surgery yesterday to make sure I would be able to post it for today! (Though it didn't post at 12:01am like it was supposed to). Anyhoo, I'm home and resting (uncomfortably). Surgery went well, my kidney tube and stone are gone! I have an internal stent on the left hand side but I'm okay with that because it comes out in the doctor's office in 2-3 weeks (no back to the hospital) and especially because it meant they could take that nephrostomy tube out! (The last nearly 2 weeks of that 15 weeks was rough with that thing, my body was simultaneously trying to heal aroun