Skip to main content

In Gardening And Other News...

Whew!

Not only is this a long post, but, I'm very tired and my arthritis is Flaring something horrible right now, however, the seeds are sown and Dahlia tubers are planted! Happy Dance! (Y'all can do it for me since I'm in no shape to be shaking my groove thing right now).

Since the container re-arranging both out front & in the yard was finished in the last week or so (Hubby helped with all of the heavy lifting & moving without my having to ask!), pretty much everything is done, aside from a few odds & ends, so now I can wait and watch things bloom. (Along with watering & fertilizing as needed, of course).

Really, it's a bit strange to be... done.

Huh.

Anyhoo, here's my gardening 'down-low' (prepare yourselves!)~

Annuals & perennials:

I made my own perennial & annual seed mix for the Dogwood raised bed using 3 different Wildflower seed packets & 1 perennial mix packet plus: Purple Coneflower, Blue Columbine, Johnny Jump Ups Viola's, Cleome, Black & Brown Eyed Susans, Zinnia's (Candy Cane Mix, Envy, Enchantress Rose & Lilliput), Petunia's (mixed colors), Mexican Sunflower and Vinca (Little Choice Mix). I may have thrown in some Bachelor's Buttons too. (Right now, I don't remember, lol!)

Veggies:
Organic Kellogg's Beefsteak Tomato's, Rutgers Tomato's, Dark Green Zucchini/Squash, Chives, Bloomsdale Longstanding Spinach*, Mixed Colors Swiss Chard*, Tomatillo's* (green tomato's), Heirloom Large Red Cherry Tomato's*, Heirloom Crimson Cushion Beefsteak Tomato's*, Mesclun* salad mix and Petite Orange Marigold's, which are a natural pest repellent for veggies, especially tomato's!
*(Have extra seeds to sow every two weeks until Summer to stagger & extend harvests!)

For the arbor:
Climbing Plant Mix (Morning Glories, Cardinal Climbers, Thunbergia Black Eyed Susans, Nasturtiums and Sweet Pea's), Crimson Rambler Morning Glories and Heavenly Blue Morning Glories.

For some height:
Teddy Bear Sunflowers, Indian Spring Mixed Colors Holly Hocks, Summer Carnival Mixed Colors Hollyhocks and Crackerjack Mixed Colors Marigolds.

Lastly:
True Lavender in one of the porch pots and in a pot underneath the bedroom window.

Yes, I go a wee bit seed crazy every year (LOL!) but it really saves me So Much money! (Especially when every place I bought seeds this year has had them On Sale). And this year I've done even more perennial seeds than usual which will save me all the more in the years to come (as do all of the perennials I've had for so may years already). Total cost of all of these seeds this year? $40. $10 less than last year!

Everything else is coming back nicely and my Bleeding Heart is in Full Bloom now! (Pink, so pretty, an all time fave!) Other established perennials I have: Roses (2 pink, 1 orange/pink/yellow), Hosta, Iris, Butterfly Bushes (purple, white and deep pink), Autumn Joy Sedum, Dianthus (red), Black & Brown Eyed Susans, Lemon Balm, Grape Hyacinths, a Forythia, Early Sunrise Coreopsis, East Friesland Salvia, Purple Ice Plant, Raspberries (red) and Flowering Dogwood. (I've had the Autumn Joy Sedum, Raspberries and Purple Ice Plant for 8 years and the Dianthus for 6!)

Somehow after dinner I was able to bake chocolate cupcakes (using mix from Cherrybrook Kitchen) with fresh made sweetened whipped cream. (Just mix a cup of heavy cream, 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar and a 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in a bowl with a mixer on medium low for 5 minutes (or until it gets a bit frothy) and put in the fridge for 20 minutes to thicken a bit. It's no where near as thick as icing but it's Heavenly and tastes much better!) When in need of comfort food, one finds a way I suppose.

Just got a text from my bff who moved to WA today. They've landed safely in Seattle. I was able to stop by to say goodbye to her last night. Oddly enough, I didn't cry. (Well, until I got home that is!) But I'm glad I didn't since I know how tired and stressed she's been with getting ready for the move. She didn't need me blubbering all over her! I still can't believe she's gone.

Another long time best friend texted me earlier that she's 12 weeks pregnant. I'm so happy for her and her husband. They've been through such heart break in that area of their lives. (I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her!)

I feel like I'm standing still, being left behind.

I'm off to bed now though I really need a soak in a tub of hot, soapy water. (I just don't have the energy for it!) Hope everyone had a great weekend and has a great week!

Comments

Young Wife said…
Your garden sounds fabulous! Hope you're feeling better soon.
Thank you! Much appreciated. How have things been since the big move?
Lisa said…
You've been busy! It's only just now getting warm enough here in the nights to be able to start planting. With a graduation this year, I've got to get on it soon.

Popular posts from this blog

An Enchanted Garden Party

Welcome to my post! To visit other participants, please head over to the Practical Magic Blog Party 2010 blog. I must say that while I think Practical Magic the movie is adorable, I think the novel is incredible. And that is where I gleaned my inspiration from for these festivities. Gardens are mysterious, magical and enchanting, don't you think? Now follow me out into the garden, I have everything all ready for you, including music! (Turn your volume on). *Update: Music has reverted to my regular Fall soundtrack, 9/28/2010* For all of you non Practical Magic Blog Party folks, head on over to NJ Through My Eyes where I've posted 2 new slide-shows today; one is a preview of a new project I'm working on!

2009 Halloween Fete! (Saturday October 17, 2009) **UPDATED!** This shindig is still going strong!

Welcome! I'm so happy to have had so many visitors already! I must apologize for not being ready for you earlier! I also apologize for the wacky font sizes throughout my post. No matter how hard I try, I can't correct them. If music doesn't begin playing shortly after your arrival, scroll down until you see a purple music widget begin to load in the left hand column and wait until you hear the music before scrolling back up here. Happy Halloween Fete 2009! Love and Spookiness to All! ~Jo (Continue scrolling down until the end of the post) Outside, it's a gloomy & cold day here on the NJ coast. Many a restless Spirit wander here on days like this. One can never be too sure if the fog & mist are just as they seem. Inside, it is warm yet equally frightful! Creepy crawlies have gotten into the food & drink, I so hope you don't mind! What with all of the party hopping we're doing, I didn't want you to bust a gut, so I've laid out some Pumpkin Cook

A Walk Through The (Dis)Enchanted Forrest (Halloween Party Post)

Welcome & thank you for visiting my post! For more Halloween fun today & throughout the weekend, visit A Fanciful Twist . For more Halloween & Autumn Fun, check out my "Autumn Tuesday" & "Halloween Thursday" posts by clicking on their labels in the left hand column. ~Happy Halloween & Pumpkin Blessings! *Update for those friends wondering, I put this together prior to surgery yesterday to make sure I would be able to post it for today! (Though it didn't post at 12:01am like it was supposed to). Anyhoo, I'm home and resting (uncomfortably). Surgery went well, my kidney tube and stone are gone! I have an internal stent on the left hand side but I'm okay with that because it comes out in the doctor's office in 2-3 weeks (no back to the hospital) and especially because it meant they could take that nephrostomy tube out! (The last nearly 2 weeks of that 15 weeks was rough with that thing, my body was simultaneously trying to heal aroun