Skip to main content

Off The Shelf - The Gates of Evangeline by Hester Young

Welcome to my first official post as one of the new members of the She Reads Blog Network! (Click here if you missed my announcement about being a part of this incredible group of women). In today's Off The Shelf, I'm sharing with you The Gates of Evangeline by Hester Young, one She Reads' Books of Winter.

Genre: Fiction
Synopsis from the publisher, G.P. Putnam's Sons, an imprint of Penguin Random House L.L.C., 2015 hardcover edition, 410 pages:

"Her Gift Can Save A Child... If It Doesn't Destroy A Family First.

When New York Journalist and recently bereaved mother Charlotte "Charlie" Cates begins to experience vivid dreams about children in danger, she's sure that she's lost her mind. Yet these are not the nightmares of a grieving parent. They are warnings that will help her and the children she sees, if only she can make sense of them.

After a little boy in a boat appears in Charlie's dreams, asking her for help, she finds herself entangled in a world-famous thirty-year-old missing-child cast that has never ceased to haunt Louisiana's prestigious Deveau family. Armed with an invitation to Evangeline, the family's sprawling estate, Charlie heads south, where new friendships and an unlikely romance bring healing. But as she uncovers long-buried secrets of love, money, betrayal, and murder, the facts begin to implicate those who most wanted to trust - and her visions reveal an evil closer than she could have imagined. 

A rich and hair-raising thriller that sweeps through the lavish affluence and the dark swamplands of the American South in one fell swoop, The Gates of Evangeline is a magnificent debut that will leave you breathlessly guessing until the startling conclusion. 

Hester Young holds a master's degree in English with a concentration in creative writing from the University of Hawai'i at Manoa, and her short stories have appeared in Hawai'i Review and other magazines. Before turning to writing full time, she was a teacher in Arizona and New Hampshire. Young lives in New Jersey with her husband and two children."

I have to say right off the bat that this is why I love bookclubs! Otherwise, I can't say whether or not The Gates of Evangeline would have made it onto my radar, especially because I don't normally read books involving mothers who have lost children. (That aspect hits a little too close to home). Now, I will say that somehow I missed the "bereaved mother" part of the synopsis, and had I not, I may not have picked this book after-all. (Nearly 17 years later it's still not easy for me to read about. My grief was such that it took me many, many years to process and eventually actively work through, and heal to the extent that I could - as with everything else in life, it's different for every single person).

So, I was a little caught off guard by that aspect, but The Gates of Evangeline started out strong, and hooked me right off the bat, which is why I kept going regardless. It's a lesson in tension with, what some may call, a supernatural twist to it, although I'm more inclined to call Charlie's dreams and visions magical realism (so tomato - tamato to a degree). I felt a little lost around the middle of the book, but then I realized that Charlie felt the same way, which made perfect sense. I admit I figured out a few big pieces of the puzzle early on (no worries, I won't spoil them for you!), but I kept moving to see how they, along with the other possible suspects and concurrent story-lines, would eventually be linked together and revealed in the end. I was definitely surprised by the actual source of Charlie's dreams and visions. That connection I never made, though now that I've finished the book, I see what I missed. The big question I was left with? Will we learn more about Charlie's grandmother in the books to come? (The Gates of Evangeline is book one of three featuring character Charlotte "Charlie" Cates). I found her to be a compelling character! After all, she used to have "creepy dreams" too.

A few quotes that stuck out to me as I read:

"There is nothing more unnatural than losing your child. Not even talking to the dead." Page 38

"You can tell a lot about an area from its library..." Page 54

"Was this ever a house that wanted children, or did it just tolerate them until they were old enough to send off to boarding school?" Page 118

Links for reference:

Author Hester Young's Twitter: Click here.
Author Hester Young's Facebook: Click here.
(Publisher link above with initial book title reference at beginning of post).

I want to thank Penguin Random House for providing me with a free copy of The Gates of Evangeline as a member of the She Reads Blog Network for review. (Opinions are my own, and I am not required by the publisher or She Reads to write a positive review, nor have I received compensation for this review).

For more Off The Shelf posts, click here and scroll down.

For my most recent posts here at This Perfectly Imperfect Life, scroll down from this one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Enchanted Garden Party

Welcome to my post! To visit other participants, please head over to the Practical Magic Blog Party 2010 blog. I must say that while I think Practical Magic the movie is adorable, I think the novel is incredible. And that is where I gleaned my inspiration from for these festivities. Gardens are mysterious, magical and enchanting, don't you think? Now follow me out into the garden, I have everything all ready for you, including music! (Turn your volume on). *Update: Music has reverted to my regular Fall soundtrack, 9/28/2010* For all of you non Practical Magic Blog Party folks, head on over to NJ Through My Eyes where I've posted 2 new slide-shows today; one is a preview of a new project I'm working on!

2009 Halloween Fete! (Saturday October 17, 2009) **UPDATED!** This shindig is still going strong!

Welcome! I'm so happy to have had so many visitors already! I must apologize for not being ready for you earlier! I also apologize for the wacky font sizes throughout my post. No matter how hard I try, I can't correct them. If music doesn't begin playing shortly after your arrival, scroll down until you see a purple music widget begin to load in the left hand column and wait until you hear the music before scrolling back up here. Happy Halloween Fete 2009! Love and Spookiness to All! ~Jo (Continue scrolling down until the end of the post) Outside, it's a gloomy & cold day here on the NJ coast. Many a restless Spirit wander here on days like this. One can never be too sure if the fog & mist are just as they seem. Inside, it is warm yet equally frightful! Creepy crawlies have gotten into the food & drink, I so hope you don't mind! What with all of the party hopping we're doing, I didn't want you to bust a gut, so I've laid out some Pumpkin Cook

A Walk Through The (Dis)Enchanted Forrest (Halloween Party Post)

Welcome & thank you for visiting my post! For more Halloween fun today & throughout the weekend, visit A Fanciful Twist . For more Halloween & Autumn Fun, check out my "Autumn Tuesday" & "Halloween Thursday" posts by clicking on their labels in the left hand column. ~Happy Halloween & Pumpkin Blessings! *Update for those friends wondering, I put this together prior to surgery yesterday to make sure I would be able to post it for today! (Though it didn't post at 12:01am like it was supposed to). Anyhoo, I'm home and resting (uncomfortably). Surgery went well, my kidney tube and stone are gone! I have an internal stent on the left hand side but I'm okay with that because it comes out in the doctor's office in 2-3 weeks (no back to the hospital) and especially because it meant they could take that nephrostomy tube out! (The last nearly 2 weeks of that 15 weeks was rough with that thing, my body was simultaneously trying to heal aroun