Skip to main content

From My Shelf - Flight Of Dreams by Ariel Lawhon

Today I'm sharing with you Flight Of Dreams, the second novel by She Reads.org co-founder Ariel Lawhon, my first 5 star read of 2016!

Genre: (Historical) Fiction
Synopsis from the publisher, Doubleday, 2016 Advance Reading Copy Not For Sale paperback edition, 324 pages: 

"With everyone on board the Hindenberg harboring dark secrets, Flight of Dreams is an utterly suspenseful, heart-wrenching examination of one of the most enduring mysteries of the twentieth century.

On the evening of May 3, 1937, Emilie Imhoff boards the Hindenberg. As the only female crew member, Emilie has access to the entire airship, from the lavish dining rooms and passenger suites to the gritty engine cars and control room. She hears everything, including rumors circulating about bomb threats, but Emilie is more focused on her feeling for Max, the ship's navigator... and keeping her own plans under wraps.

What Emilie can't see is that everyone - from the sweet cabin boy to the high-standing German officer - seems to be hiding something. Even her budding romance with Max is about to be complicated by subterfuge and betrayal.

From a dazzling new voice in historical fiction, Flight of Dreams is a fiercely intimate portrait of the people on board. It is that rare novel with spellbinding plotting that keeps you guessing until the last page and breathtaking emotional intensity that stays with you long after you've finished reading."

I finished Flight Of Dreams on Friday afternoon, and whopping head cold aside, I needed to collect myself before I could sit down to write this review. This morning I re-read the last 51 pages, because apparently what a whopping head cold needs is another good cry!

In short: I loved Flight of Dreams.

I can hear some of you already asking, "How can you love a book when you already know the ending?"

I studied World War II history extensively in college because it has always struck something inside of me, even before reading The Diary of Anne Frank in grammar school and Night by Ellie Wiesel as a freshman in high school. I've watched countless documentaries on television. But, in recent years, historical fiction has transported me to this time period in ways the history books and films never could, on levels more personal, intimate, shocking, ultimately horrifying. (And in many cases I'm learning things I had not learned from those long ago text books and classes because I've gone on to researching a bit after I've finished reading).

I'm also a born and raised NJean, and we're taught about the Hindenberg in grammar school. (Or at least it used to be taught to young students, if they teach it now or not, I can't say for certain). I've seen the footage of its' fiery demise many times, and to this day wonder how anyone survived. My husband told me that his grandfather took my mother-in-law to see the wreckage down in Lakehurst when she was a little girl (of 5 or 7 years old, depending on what year you believe she was born), and that he bought her "an actual piece of the Hindenberg" which she said she had for years, though whether or not it actually a piece of the airship, she never knew. (Apparently they selling "pieces of the Hindenberg" everywhere - the morbid idea of which is unsettling to me). I also vaguely remember the GC Scott movie of the same name, made the year I was born.

So, yes, I am familiar with the Hindenberg, and I knew the inevitability Flight Of Dreams would come to on May 6, 1937. But, how would author Ariel Lawhon get to that tragic end? How would The Stewardess, The Navigator, The American, The Journalist and The Cabin Boy spend their three days aboard the airship prior to the crash? Who, along with the other passengers and crew, would be among the survivors? How would she leave them, and where? And the biggest question of all: What would cause the Hindenberg to crash?

Ariel's writing was transportive from page one, and put me inside the Hindenberg with its' precious cargo, some of whom are based on actual passengers from the doomed flight. The further along I read, the more I wanted to know how she would connect all of the dots, but at the same time, I was bracing myself for what I knew would be an emotionally vivid conclusion, regardless of that partial inevitability. I only put it down during the times I've been too ill to read.

While we may never truly know the real reason, or reasons, behind the cause of the Hindenberg crash, this novel does an amazing job of exploring a combination of possible "what if" scenarios. Her words give color to an event I've only seen in dark shades of grainy black and white. A beautiful page-turner.

Flight Of Dreams releases on Tuesday, February 23, 2016.

Links for reference:

Author Ariel Lawhon's Twitter: Click here.
Author Ariel Lawhon's Facebook: Click here.
(Publisher links above with initial book title reference at beginning of post, as well as the author's website with initial name reference at the beginning of post).

Ariel is also the author of The Wife, The Maid, and The Mistress, her first novel.

I want to thank Doubleday for providing me with a free copy of Flight Of Dreams as a member of the She Reads Blog Network for review. (Opinions are my own, and I am not required by the publisher or She Reads to write a positive review, nor have I received compensation for this review).

Please note: Off The Shelf is now From My Shelf.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Enchanted Garden Party

Welcome to my post! To visit other participants, please head over to the Practical Magic Blog Party 2010 blog. I must say that while I think Practical Magic the movie is adorable, I think the novel is incredible. And that is where I gleaned my inspiration from for these festivities. Gardens are mysterious, magical and enchanting, don't you think? Now follow me out into the garden, I have everything all ready for you, including music! (Turn your volume on). *Update: Music has reverted to my regular Fall soundtrack, 9/28/2010* For all of you non Practical Magic Blog Party folks, head on over to NJ Through My Eyes where I've posted 2 new slide-shows today; one is a preview of a new project I'm working on!

2009 Halloween Fete! (Saturday October 17, 2009) **UPDATED!** This shindig is still going strong!

Welcome! I'm so happy to have had so many visitors already! I must apologize for not being ready for you earlier! I also apologize for the wacky font sizes throughout my post. No matter how hard I try, I can't correct them. If music doesn't begin playing shortly after your arrival, scroll down until you see a purple music widget begin to load in the left hand column and wait until you hear the music before scrolling back up here. Happy Halloween Fete 2009! Love and Spookiness to All! ~Jo (Continue scrolling down until the end of the post) Outside, it's a gloomy & cold day here on the NJ coast. Many a restless Spirit wander here on days like this. One can never be too sure if the fog & mist are just as they seem. Inside, it is warm yet equally frightful! Creepy crawlies have gotten into the food & drink, I so hope you don't mind! What with all of the party hopping we're doing, I didn't want you to bust a gut, so I've laid out some Pumpkin Cook

A Walk Through The (Dis)Enchanted Forrest (Halloween Party Post)

Welcome & thank you for visiting my post! For more Halloween fun today & throughout the weekend, visit A Fanciful Twist . For more Halloween & Autumn Fun, check out my "Autumn Tuesday" & "Halloween Thursday" posts by clicking on their labels in the left hand column. ~Happy Halloween & Pumpkin Blessings! *Update for those friends wondering, I put this together prior to surgery yesterday to make sure I would be able to post it for today! (Though it didn't post at 12:01am like it was supposed to). Anyhoo, I'm home and resting (uncomfortably). Surgery went well, my kidney tube and stone are gone! I have an internal stent on the left hand side but I'm okay with that because it comes out in the doctor's office in 2-3 weeks (no back to the hospital) and especially because it meant they could take that nephrostomy tube out! (The last nearly 2 weeks of that 15 weeks was rough with that thing, my body was simultaneously trying to heal aroun