Skip to main content

Friday Favorites - 4 Ingredient Slow Cooker Apple Sauce

This morning in the kitchen, Empire apples

Hello one and all, I'm back after quite a long blogging break, and ready to share with you a recipe for the best apple sauce I've ever made! 

This morning I decided to make another batch, and this time I'm freezing most of it for the upcoming cold months since someone (me) finished off the first batch in no time. 

And I'm not in the least bit sorry about that because it was Just That Good. 

Gala apple in hand (September)

Into your slow cooker/crock pot on the low setting for at least 5 hours, stirring every so often:

The first time I made the slow cooker apple sauce back in September, I used five pounds of Gala apples (17 small-ish apples), but this morning I'm using six pounds of larger Empire apples, peeled, cored, and sliced or chopped - 3 cinnamon sticks - 2 tablespoons of lemon juice - 1/4 cup water. 

As with making apple sauce on the stove, the same goes with making apple sauce in the slow cooker: Different apples will equal different consistencies and different sweetness, along with the amount you use, so you may have to play with the amount of water (likely less, not more than what's listed above), cinnamon and sugar you add based on the type of apples you use, but you'll get the hang of that the more often you make it!

Our slow cooker is a larger one, a five quart or bigger I believe, so a smaller one would likely take longer. More apples and/or larger pieces will also take longer, but if your slow cooker is a large one, 5 hours seems to be the magic number. I used a potato masher to get what few apples that hadn't broken down during the cook time. (I prefer a chunkier apple sauce so I wasn't too concerned with getting it down to a smooth consistency).  

A peep inside the slow cooker at the apple sauce

At the end, I spooned out roughly two cups into a small sauce pan to make apple butter on the stove, removed the cinnamon sticks from the slow cooker, and then added one tablespoon of sugar to the applesauce in the slow cooker to cool. (If you prefer your applesauce sweeter, adjust to your liking). 

Apple butter you have to watch like a hawk so it doesn't burn! I put it on low heat, uncovered, added a new cinnamon stick to it and made sure to stir every time it started to bubble. It turns a much darker color. (Hard to see from the photo below, but that's the apple butter on the far right). At about 45 minutes I removed it from the heat to cool.

Place in fridge once cool. If you don't freeze what you make, you'll need to eat it within roughly a week, because without preservatives, you don't want to risk getting sick if it goes bad, even with it being in the fridge! (After thawing frozen batches, please keep this in mind as well. It should keep in the freezer well roughly six months).

Some of September's slow cooker apple sauce & apple butter

I will never make apple sauce on the stove again! Slow cooker apple sauce is the way to go for me from now on. And it has ruined me on store-bought, even organic store-bought! 

What is one of your favorite Autumn recipes to make and share at this time of year?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Enchanted Garden Party

Welcome to my post! To visit other participants, please head over to the Practical Magic Blog Party 2010 blog. I must say that while I think Practical Magic the movie is adorable, I think the novel is incredible. And that is where I gleaned my inspiration from for these festivities. Gardens are mysterious, magical and enchanting, don't you think? Now follow me out into the garden, I have everything all ready for you, including music! (Turn your volume on). *Update: Music has reverted to my regular Fall soundtrack, 9/28/2010* For all of you non Practical Magic Blog Party folks, head on over to NJ Through My Eyes where I've posted 2 new slide-shows today; one is a preview of a new project I'm working on!

2009 Halloween Fete! (Saturday October 17, 2009) **UPDATED!** This shindig is still going strong!

Welcome! I'm so happy to have had so many visitors already! I must apologize for not being ready for you earlier! I also apologize for the wacky font sizes throughout my post. No matter how hard I try, I can't correct them. If music doesn't begin playing shortly after your arrival, scroll down until you see a purple music widget begin to load in the left hand column and wait until you hear the music before scrolling back up here. Happy Halloween Fete 2009! Love and Spookiness to All! ~Jo (Continue scrolling down until the end of the post) Outside, it's a gloomy & cold day here on the NJ coast. Many a restless Spirit wander here on days like this. One can never be too sure if the fog & mist are just as they seem. Inside, it is warm yet equally frightful! Creepy crawlies have gotten into the food & drink, I so hope you don't mind! What with all of the party hopping we're doing, I didn't want you to bust a gut, so I've laid out some Pumpkin Cook

A Walk Through The (Dis)Enchanted Forrest (Halloween Party Post)

Welcome & thank you for visiting my post! For more Halloween fun today & throughout the weekend, visit A Fanciful Twist . For more Halloween & Autumn Fun, check out my "Autumn Tuesday" & "Halloween Thursday" posts by clicking on their labels in the left hand column. ~Happy Halloween & Pumpkin Blessings! *Update for those friends wondering, I put this together prior to surgery yesterday to make sure I would be able to post it for today! (Though it didn't post at 12:01am like it was supposed to). Anyhoo, I'm home and resting (uncomfortably). Surgery went well, my kidney tube and stone are gone! I have an internal stent on the left hand side but I'm okay with that because it comes out in the doctor's office in 2-3 weeks (no back to the hospital) and especially because it meant they could take that nephrostomy tube out! (The last nearly 2 weeks of that 15 weeks was rough with that thing, my body was simultaneously trying to heal aroun