Skip to main content

When Perimenopause Strikes At The Supermarket


Actually, it started earlier at last Sunday morning. (Not the perimenopause itself, just this most recent bout of it). Hubbs was being his usual 'funny' self, only this time my feelings got hurt, and I cried. Big ole tears with big gulps of air cried. 'Here we go!' I thought to myself. Again.

After breakfast, we headed to Target for a couple of things. I saw that the iPhone 5s was finally down to $49.95, what my iPhone 4 cost us nearly two years ago. I've hemmed and hawed about upgrading to a newer iPhone (for the camera, though I don't care for the smaller screen width) because of the cost, but, honestly, between what I've spent on a Samsung WiFi camera, and Kindle impulse buy books, I could have picked up the iPhone 5s before it went this low in price, or even the iPhone 6, had I thought about it more logically. (kicks self in rear - again)

The very nice gentleman checked their stock, plus the next closest Target store, and... Nodda. Notta. He even went a step further and called someone else who told him they likely weren't getting anymore of the 5s given the time of year. (I've noticed this is generally the time of year, as it gets closer to summer, when older Apple products go on sale, sell out, and aren't restocked in order to make way for the next wave of new Apple products).

I sincerely thanked him for all of his help, then couldn't wait to get out of the store. I was so deeply disappointed, and I didn't want to cry. Again. In Target. (I didn't even look at the book section!)

Immediately, my reflux/heartburn flared right up my chest into my sinuses. On our way to the supermarket, I chewed two Gaviscon (bleah!), then wandered through the first half of store as though Hubbs was sitting on my chest instead of pushing the cart beside me. (Have I mentioned he's 6'3" and 280lbs? Just for some context).

I was feeling better by the time we got to the frozen foods section. I had wanted to pick up a few lunches to supplement leftovers for my afternoon eats during the week, but not one brand was on sale.

Not one. Stinking. Item.

And that's when it happened.

I cried.

I cried in the frozen foods/dairy aisle of the supermarket.

Because nothing I could buy for lunch was on sale.

And then I Laughed Out Loud, out right guffawed at the absurdity of the situation! How could I not?!

Thankfully the aisle was fairly deserted aside from Hubbs, who didn't even blink at his mess of a wife (hm...).

If I hadn't known prior to this that these 'crying jag' days, as I call them, were more than just regular ole PMS, I knew now without a flipping doubt! (But, I mean, seriously, have you seen the prices lately?! They could make anyone cry on a good day, am I right?)

When the crying jag days started, I thought it was the fatigue and stress of the mono actually. (I was sick with active mono from Thanksgiving through the end of February this year - good times!) That's when these days of something setting me off then spending the rest of the day literally on the verge of tears, or crying well after I'm done being upset or angry over whatever got me going, began. (Or that's at least when I noticed them since with the mono I literally had nothing else going on for so long). And it's normal when you're body is going through a traumatic illness (or injury), although this was extreme, even for me. (Then again, the mono fatigue and secondary infections I experienced on top of my usual health hoopla was extreme too, so I wasn't overly concerned). Plus, the side affects of mono can last up to a year after the infection is no longer active (sweet - not), so I continued not being overly concerned.

But, after noticing some other, er, womanly changes (like how I put that?), several chats with a bestie who's five years older than I am, and one with my (female) primary doctor, I've come to not only realize, but accept, that perimenopause may have indeed begun for me.

Plus my body has decided that any temp above 66* is just as hot as 104*, so along with my usual heat & humidity intolerance, I'm feeling especially bleah now that the warm weather of late Spring is upon us.

As if turning the big 4-Oh! last month wasn't enough for the time being?!
(insert frowny face while shaking my head here)

But then you just gotta laugh, am I right?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Enchanted Garden Party

Welcome to my post! To visit other participants, please head over to the Practical Magic Blog Party 2010 blog. I must say that while I think Practical Magic the movie is adorable, I think the novel is incredible. And that is where I gleaned my inspiration from for these festivities. Gardens are mysterious, magical and enchanting, don't you think? Now follow me out into the garden, I have everything all ready for you, including music! (Turn your volume on). *Update: Music has reverted to my regular Fall soundtrack, 9/28/2010* For all of you non Practical Magic Blog Party folks, head on over to NJ Through My Eyes where I've posted 2 new slide-shows today; one is a preview of a new project I'm working on!

2009 Halloween Fete! (Saturday October 17, 2009) **UPDATED!** This shindig is still going strong!

Welcome! I'm so happy to have had so many visitors already! I must apologize for not being ready for you earlier! I also apologize for the wacky font sizes throughout my post. No matter how hard I try, I can't correct them. If music doesn't begin playing shortly after your arrival, scroll down until you see a purple music widget begin to load in the left hand column and wait until you hear the music before scrolling back up here. Happy Halloween Fete 2009! Love and Spookiness to All! ~Jo (Continue scrolling down until the end of the post) Outside, it's a gloomy & cold day here on the NJ coast. Many a restless Spirit wander here on days like this. One can never be too sure if the fog & mist are just as they seem. Inside, it is warm yet equally frightful! Creepy crawlies have gotten into the food & drink, I so hope you don't mind! What with all of the party hopping we're doing, I didn't want you to bust a gut, so I've laid out some Pumpkin Cook

A Walk Through The (Dis)Enchanted Forrest (Halloween Party Post)

Welcome & thank you for visiting my post! For more Halloween fun today & throughout the weekend, visit A Fanciful Twist . For more Halloween & Autumn Fun, check out my "Autumn Tuesday" & "Halloween Thursday" posts by clicking on their labels in the left hand column. ~Happy Halloween & Pumpkin Blessings! *Update for those friends wondering, I put this together prior to surgery yesterday to make sure I would be able to post it for today! (Though it didn't post at 12:01am like it was supposed to). Anyhoo, I'm home and resting (uncomfortably). Surgery went well, my kidney tube and stone are gone! I have an internal stent on the left hand side but I'm okay with that because it comes out in the doctor's office in 2-3 weeks (no back to the hospital) and especially because it meant they could take that nephrostomy tube out! (The last nearly 2 weeks of that 15 weeks was rough with that thing, my body was simultaneously trying to heal aroun