Skip to main content

No Ordinary Jars


I've talked about my 'happiness jar' which I call my Happy Moments, Gratitude & Goals jar before (click here), but recently I started a new jar that I wanted to share with you today.

I am a worrier. To the nth degree. And that's likely an understatement. I've always been a worrier, but it's gotten worse, and I wanted to try a more hands on approach in helping myself cope with my worries, and hopefully ease the stress during challenging times. 

I was talking about happiness jars the week before last with a friend, and in the middle of that conversation, I came up with the idea for a Give it up to God jar!  It's my take on a God box

I used to write down something I was extremely worried about or upset over, go out to my garden to the raised bed around the Dogwood tree, dig a whole, tear up the paper into small bits, and bury it. In doing so, you essentially give that particular issue up to God (or which ever deity you prefer), and the paper disappears in the soil over time.

As the years have passed, digging in that raised bed has become more & more difficult because of the Dogwood's roots. With the rest of my garden in containers, and flooding issues in the yard (and not wanting bits of my soul being washed away an possibly being read by The Portable Homestead tenants), I got out of the habit. 

Fast forward to the week before last when I came up with my Give it up to God jar

I decided that any time I begin to become deeply worried or upset over something, I will write what it is on a slip of paper, ask for help, fold the paper so that I can no longer see what it is I've written down once it's inside the jar (unlike the notes I place in my happiness jar which I can see snippets of), and place the folded note in the jar. A couple of weeks later and I can see that the jar is already filling up! But, it is a comforting ritual, because I've made up my mind, once it's in the jar, I am going to do my best not to stress over it. Otherwise, I will spend some more time writing that thing down, asking for help, and placing it in the jar. (There's one topic that has come up again since first putting it in the jar, and I did just that yesterday).

I leave my Happy Moments, Gratitude and Goals jar on my nightstand where it is usually the last thing I see before I fall asleep when I turn off my light, and the first thing I see when I wake. I did not want to leave my Give it to to God jar on my nightstand. I do not want the worry, stress, and negativity in that jar to be that close to me in a comforting and positive space, so I've placed it in the hall, on a shelf where I can see it and find it when I need it, but it's not so readily visible that I'm constantly aware of it and what's inside of it. 

In thinking about my old God box ritual, I may empty the Give it up to God jar, rip up each note into pieces which I will then place back into the jar so that when it's full, I can create a ritual to get rid of the contents.

Challenging times are upon us for the next few months with The Marine's winter layoff, and not only will appreciating our blessings help me to help us through, but I believe my Give it up to God jar is going to come in handy in helping me to help us through! (I tend to stress a lot more than he does). 

What are some of the ways you take stock of your blessings and cope with worry?

Comments

Awww what a beautiful idea. I love that. It's magical, spiritual, and psychologically therapeutic.
Unknown said…
That is a wonderful idea! A good way to let go of things. When I'm worried about something I tend to read a lot, which is really a form of avoidance I suppose...although often it gets me where I need to be.

Popular posts from this blog

An Enchanted Garden Party

Welcome to my post! To visit other participants, please head over to the Practical Magic Blog Party 2010 blog. I must say that while I think Practical Magic the movie is adorable, I think the novel is incredible. And that is where I gleaned my inspiration from for these festivities. Gardens are mysterious, magical and enchanting, don't you think? Now follow me out into the garden, I have everything all ready for you, including music! (Turn your volume on). *Update: Music has reverted to my regular Fall soundtrack, 9/28/2010* For all of you non Practical Magic Blog Party folks, head on over to NJ Through My Eyes where I've posted 2 new slide-shows today; one is a preview of a new project I'm working on!

2009 Halloween Fete! (Saturday October 17, 2009) **UPDATED!** This shindig is still going strong!

Welcome! I'm so happy to have had so many visitors already! I must apologize for not being ready for you earlier! I also apologize for the wacky font sizes throughout my post. No matter how hard I try, I can't correct them. If music doesn't begin playing shortly after your arrival, scroll down until you see a purple music widget begin to load in the left hand column and wait until you hear the music before scrolling back up here. Happy Halloween Fete 2009! Love and Spookiness to All! ~Jo (Continue scrolling down until the end of the post) Outside, it's a gloomy & cold day here on the NJ coast. Many a restless Spirit wander here on days like this. One can never be too sure if the fog & mist are just as they seem. Inside, it is warm yet equally frightful! Creepy crawlies have gotten into the food & drink, I so hope you don't mind! What with all of the party hopping we're doing, I didn't want you to bust a gut, so I've laid out some Pumpkin Cook

A Walk Through The (Dis)Enchanted Forrest (Halloween Party Post)

Welcome & thank you for visiting my post! For more Halloween fun today & throughout the weekend, visit A Fanciful Twist . For more Halloween & Autumn Fun, check out my "Autumn Tuesday" & "Halloween Thursday" posts by clicking on their labels in the left hand column. ~Happy Halloween & Pumpkin Blessings! *Update for those friends wondering, I put this together prior to surgery yesterday to make sure I would be able to post it for today! (Though it didn't post at 12:01am like it was supposed to). Anyhoo, I'm home and resting (uncomfortably). Surgery went well, my kidney tube and stone are gone! I have an internal stent on the left hand side but I'm okay with that because it comes out in the doctor's office in 2-3 weeks (no back to the hospital) and especially because it meant they could take that nephrostomy tube out! (The last nearly 2 weeks of that 15 weeks was rough with that thing, my body was simultaneously trying to heal aroun