Skip to main content

A Writers Journal - Mentors, Muses and Soundtracks


For more info and to join in: Grow Write Guild
More catching up to do with my Grow Write Guild prompts! Then I will be up to date, though I've just learned that prompt #6 has been posted, so perhaps I will forever be playing catch up with these, as I usually feel in other areas of my life. But, I'm having so much fun writing because of the GWG prompts, I don't mind being behind with posting.

Prompt #4: Write about your garden mentor or muse.

Written May 13th:
Welp, this is the first prompt I've had a little trouble with.  I didn't begin gardening until my 20s and I did so rather accidentally, out of the blue and on my own.  (Click here to learn more).  I've never given much thought to a mentor or muse before.

The first place I turned to, the first place I turn to with anything, even now, is books.  I don't recall if I took many out of the library or not, but I did buy a lot of bargain/clearance gardening books at (the now defunct) Borders and Barnes & Noble, as well as many great, old used books at the thrift shops and library sales, many of which I still have.  I tended towards encyclopedia type books, Q&A type books and journal/memoirs.  I've never been too fond of the strait forward "how-to" books, probably because I've never liked being told what to do or how to do it!

Could a nursery or garden center be considered a mentor or muse? Especially in the beginning?  Nowadays I tend to go with a specific list in hand, but back then, I looked at everything excitedly, picking things, I'm sure, seemingly at random, though to a degree I was, but also to fit my teeny tiny budget while at the same time making my heart sing.  I didn't have much room back then, not to mention untrustworthy neighbors with sticky fingers, so I was mostly an annuals gal back then.  I didn't have the patience for perennials and annuals were cheaper to replace if stolen or ruined.

As time has passed, I would say that my mentors and muses have expanded to include favorite blogs and so many in the twitter gardening communities of #gardenchat, #rosechat, #gardenwalk and beyond.

I have always loved roses, since I was a little girl, and the color pink.  Perhaps those two things are my biggest muse.  My gardening first loves, even before I started gardening.  They bring me such joy.


Prompt #5:  What does your garden sound like?

Written May 23rd:
Another thunderstorm has just finished. I hear rain water flowing through the leaders down from the gutters like the shower running in the tub.  Dripping onto the mini-greenhouse from a hole in the gutter. A lawn mower and a leaf blower across the street.  Traffic on the highway, not even a block away, and traffic and school buses on our street too. Both heavy and loud, the tires on the wet black top sounding like waves rolling onto the beach.  Birds chirping excitedly in the massive arborvitaes by the fence.

Very loud.  Too loud.

Sometimes it's all a bit maddening really.  Cascading bottles, cans and plastics into the recycling bins.  Add the neighborhood noises from the park, ball field and apartment complex (that we live in) and it's often hard to block it all out.

Did I mention the "WHAT?!" Sisters across the alley (all they ever do is yell to one another when they're in their yard, which backs up to the other side of the alley and can't hear one another despite their yelling - our yard backs up to the alley on this side) and that 4 towns worth of ambulances use our street to get them to the bridge that takes you to the hospital on the other side of the river?

That's probably why I enjoy my morning and evening (at sunset) garden walks so much.  There's still noise, mostly street and highway traffic, there will always be noise here, but it's much more quiet in comparison.  Birds, bees, and often my thoughts, become the welcome soundtrack instead.

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi Jo - I have had a similar path to becoming a gardener, coming to it in my 20's and learning from books and magazines. Not a bad combo, books and gardening! Love your response to prompt 5 too.
Not a bad combo at all, I agree :-) And thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

An Enchanted Garden Party

Welcome to my post! To visit other participants, please head over to the Practical Magic Blog Party 2010 blog. I must say that while I think Practical Magic the movie is adorable, I think the novel is incredible. And that is where I gleaned my inspiration from for these festivities. Gardens are mysterious, magical and enchanting, don't you think? Now follow me out into the garden, I have everything all ready for you, including music! (Turn your volume on). *Update: Music has reverted to my regular Fall soundtrack, 9/28/2010* For all of you non Practical Magic Blog Party folks, head on over to NJ Through My Eyes where I've posted 2 new slide-shows today; one is a preview of a new project I'm working on!

2009 Halloween Fete! (Saturday October 17, 2009) **UPDATED!** This shindig is still going strong!

Welcome! I'm so happy to have had so many visitors already! I must apologize for not being ready for you earlier! I also apologize for the wacky font sizes throughout my post. No matter how hard I try, I can't correct them. If music doesn't begin playing shortly after your arrival, scroll down until you see a purple music widget begin to load in the left hand column and wait until you hear the music before scrolling back up here. Happy Halloween Fete 2009! Love and Spookiness to All! ~Jo (Continue scrolling down until the end of the post) Outside, it's a gloomy & cold day here on the NJ coast. Many a restless Spirit wander here on days like this. One can never be too sure if the fog & mist are just as they seem. Inside, it is warm yet equally frightful! Creepy crawlies have gotten into the food & drink, I so hope you don't mind! What with all of the party hopping we're doing, I didn't want you to bust a gut, so I've laid out some Pumpkin Cook

A Walk Through The (Dis)Enchanted Forrest (Halloween Party Post)

Welcome & thank you for visiting my post! For more Halloween fun today & throughout the weekend, visit A Fanciful Twist . For more Halloween & Autumn Fun, check out my "Autumn Tuesday" & "Halloween Thursday" posts by clicking on their labels in the left hand column. ~Happy Halloween & Pumpkin Blessings! *Update for those friends wondering, I put this together prior to surgery yesterday to make sure I would be able to post it for today! (Though it didn't post at 12:01am like it was supposed to). Anyhoo, I'm home and resting (uncomfortably). Surgery went well, my kidney tube and stone are gone! I have an internal stent on the left hand side but I'm okay with that because it comes out in the doctor's office in 2-3 weeks (no back to the hospital) and especially because it meant they could take that nephrostomy tube out! (The last nearly 2 weeks of that 15 weeks was rough with that thing, my body was simultaneously trying to heal aroun