Skip to main content

Upheaval Into Revival: Moving Forward. Again.

I'm writing to you, dear friends, as the sun sets beyond the hills that shelter and shadow us here at our coastal home. Yesterday, for the first time since Hurricane Sandy devastated NJ, things started to feel oddly normal again. Oddly normal because around us things are anything but "normal."

I'm still dazed and stunned. Numb.

But, there's more (along with being so thankful and appreciative of our blessings, which makes me feel painfully guilty given how much so many have lost) and I really don't know how to begin explaining to you how I feel.

Heartbroken? I'm not sure that covers it honestly. Or does justice to it all.

Sadness? I'm definitely sad, but I just cannot, as of yet, find any word or words that begin to express how I feel about what's happened to my beloved home state of NJ.  It's more than just another case of marking time,  "Before Sandy" and "After Sandy" as we all tend to do when unimaginable events change our lives.

Maybe this will give you an idea:

The place where Hubbs and I watched our first thunderstorm & waited out the rain together, where we didn't have our first kiss but our second, third & forth... Gone.

The place where he first took me out to dinner... Gone.

The home where we first said, "I love you..." Gone.

The home where we had so many very first firsts, mundane & intimate... Gone. (Granted it was his place and shortly after getting together he moved into mine, but still).

My favorite spots to stop and sit awhile at the harbor... Gone.

Our friends restaurant, in our sister town, a favorite breakfast spot... Gone. (Again! Hurricane Irene wiped them out last August & they rebuilt. This time they won't).

One of my/our favorite places in the whole world, especially in the off season (Autumn and Winter) the barrier island of Sandy Hook/Fort Hancock isn't gone but I can't even imagine when folks will be able to get on The Hook again.

Gone. Or forever changed.

So many memories.  A lifetime.

So many tears.

I'm still shaking my head...

Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Comments

Lisa said…
Very well said, Jo. When others look, we can see the devastation and we can (to an extent) understand how hard life is for some at this time. But you have put into words how emotionally painful this is for everyone.
Thank you Lisa! Folks affected by Hurricanes Katrina and Andrew are coming to NJ & NY's side because they know exactly what we're going through - before this I could only imagine, but not really, what they all went through. It's unimagineable until it happens where you are.
Unknown said…
I just can't believe it. It's astounding how much damage can be wrought in such a short period of time. You are all in my thoughts...

Popular posts from this blog

An Enchanted Garden Party

Welcome to my post! To visit other participants, please head over to the Practical Magic Blog Party 2010 blog. I must say that while I think Practical Magic the movie is adorable, I think the novel is incredible. And that is where I gleaned my inspiration from for these festivities. Gardens are mysterious, magical and enchanting, don't you think? Now follow me out into the garden, I have everything all ready for you, including music! (Turn your volume on). *Update: Music has reverted to my regular Fall soundtrack, 9/28/2010* For all of you non Practical Magic Blog Party folks, head on over to NJ Through My Eyes where I've posted 2 new slide-shows today; one is a preview of a new project I'm working on!

2009 Halloween Fete! (Saturday October 17, 2009) **UPDATED!** This shindig is still going strong!

Welcome! I'm so happy to have had so many visitors already! I must apologize for not being ready for you earlier! I also apologize for the wacky font sizes throughout my post. No matter how hard I try, I can't correct them. If music doesn't begin playing shortly after your arrival, scroll down until you see a purple music widget begin to load in the left hand column and wait until you hear the music before scrolling back up here. Happy Halloween Fete 2009! Love and Spookiness to All! ~Jo (Continue scrolling down until the end of the post) Outside, it's a gloomy & cold day here on the NJ coast. Many a restless Spirit wander here on days like this. One can never be too sure if the fog & mist are just as they seem. Inside, it is warm yet equally frightful! Creepy crawlies have gotten into the food & drink, I so hope you don't mind! What with all of the party hopping we're doing, I didn't want you to bust a gut, so I've laid out some Pumpkin Cook

A Walk Through The (Dis)Enchanted Forrest (Halloween Party Post)

Welcome & thank you for visiting my post! For more Halloween fun today & throughout the weekend, visit A Fanciful Twist . For more Halloween & Autumn Fun, check out my "Autumn Tuesday" & "Halloween Thursday" posts by clicking on their labels in the left hand column. ~Happy Halloween & Pumpkin Blessings! *Update for those friends wondering, I put this together prior to surgery yesterday to make sure I would be able to post it for today! (Though it didn't post at 12:01am like it was supposed to). Anyhoo, I'm home and resting (uncomfortably). Surgery went well, my kidney tube and stone are gone! I have an internal stent on the left hand side but I'm okay with that because it comes out in the doctor's office in 2-3 weeks (no back to the hospital) and especially because it meant they could take that nephrostomy tube out! (The last nearly 2 weeks of that 15 weeks was rough with that thing, my body was simultaneously trying to heal aroun