Skip to main content

Living With Disease: Standing Up For Yourself And Your Healthcare

To whom it may concern:

After over half an hour of trying to reach your office this morning and only getting the answering service message, (despite calling after the starting time the office picks up calls per that message). I stopped wasting my time. I was calling to tell you that because of a phone call I received last night from "____" - who rudely tried to force me to make an appointment for an office visit and when I wouldn't basically accused me of seeing another ____________ - which I am not - I want it noted on my chart/account that I do Not want to be contacted by your office again because of that phone call and in the future if I need to see a ____________ again, because of that phone call, it will not be Dr. ________. (And if that happens, any new ____________ will request my records). I am not receptive to such attitudes and feel they have no place in my healthcare. (Or anyone else's for that matter). -Jo...

This is a letter I wrote and mailed this morning because the phone call I received last night made my blood boil. I've had my misgivings about this particular doctor because his 'bedside' manner is awful. He has no idea how to interact with patients and despite his being thorough & knowledgeable, he rubbed me the wrong way from the start and made me (and my husband & mother) uncomfortable from the get-go.

However, I've done what he told me to do and over the last year, I have come a long way in those areas of my health and I'm proud of it.  (It has been anything but easy, as anyone with chronic illness can imagine).

That phone call from his office last night though put the proverbial nail in the coffin. I have too much respect for myself and have been fighting too long for quality doctors in my life to take that kind of treatment from anyone in healthcare anymore. (Before 2004, that likely wouldn't have been the case, but that's a story for another time). I do not have the energy for such negativity.

And I believe everyone, healthy and otherwise, has the right to demand the same.

Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Comments

maddyrose said…
You must be seeing the same doctor I was. I handled it in pretty much the same way and I must say, "Good for you!"
Hi Jo! My Aunt suffers from fibro as well as the after-effects of an injury suffered at work many years ago. Because of living in constant pain, she has to visit the doctor frequently. I can not tell you how much our family can relate to these issues. From doctors who don't look over your records, to ones who end up getting charged with serious offences. It seems as though there are very few doctors out there who truly do it to help people.

You absolutely have the right to demand better healthcare and to deal with a doctor who you feel respects you and whom you are comfortable with. I'm proud of you for writing this letter. Here's hoping you find a physician who suits your needs and cares about his/her patients' wellbeing.
Thank you both so much! This is why I write my Living With Disease posts, so that others know they're not alone, so that others know it's not just them and so that those who aren't ill but know someone who is can learn what it's like for that person and even be better able to support them through it all.
garden girl said…
Good for you Jo. No one should have to put up with rude, arrogant medical providers or office staff. I've taken similar action when warranted.

Popular posts from this blog

An Enchanted Garden Party

Welcome to my post! To visit other participants, please head over to the Practical Magic Blog Party 2010 blog. I must say that while I think Practical Magic the movie is adorable, I think the novel is incredible. And that is where I gleaned my inspiration from for these festivities. Gardens are mysterious, magical and enchanting, don't you think? Now follow me out into the garden, I have everything all ready for you, including music! (Turn your volume on). *Update: Music has reverted to my regular Fall soundtrack, 9/28/2010* For all of you non Practical Magic Blog Party folks, head on over to NJ Through My Eyes where I've posted 2 new slide-shows today; one is a preview of a new project I'm working on!

2009 Halloween Fete! (Saturday October 17, 2009) **UPDATED!** This shindig is still going strong!

Welcome! I'm so happy to have had so many visitors already! I must apologize for not being ready for you earlier! I also apologize for the wacky font sizes throughout my post. No matter how hard I try, I can't correct them. If music doesn't begin playing shortly after your arrival, scroll down until you see a purple music widget begin to load in the left hand column and wait until you hear the music before scrolling back up here. Happy Halloween Fete 2009! Love and Spookiness to All! ~Jo (Continue scrolling down until the end of the post) Outside, it's a gloomy & cold day here on the NJ coast. Many a restless Spirit wander here on days like this. One can never be too sure if the fog & mist are just as they seem. Inside, it is warm yet equally frightful! Creepy crawlies have gotten into the food & drink, I so hope you don't mind! What with all of the party hopping we're doing, I didn't want you to bust a gut, so I've laid out some Pumpkin Cook

A Walk Through The (Dis)Enchanted Forrest (Halloween Party Post)

Welcome & thank you for visiting my post! For more Halloween fun today & throughout the weekend, visit A Fanciful Twist . For more Halloween & Autumn Fun, check out my "Autumn Tuesday" & "Halloween Thursday" posts by clicking on their labels in the left hand column. ~Happy Halloween & Pumpkin Blessings! *Update for those friends wondering, I put this together prior to surgery yesterday to make sure I would be able to post it for today! (Though it didn't post at 12:01am like it was supposed to). Anyhoo, I'm home and resting (uncomfortably). Surgery went well, my kidney tube and stone are gone! I have an internal stent on the left hand side but I'm okay with that because it comes out in the doctor's office in 2-3 weeks (no back to the hospital) and especially because it meant they could take that nephrostomy tube out! (The last nearly 2 weeks of that 15 weeks was rough with that thing, my body was simultaneously trying to heal aroun