Skip to main content

Monday Musings: A Little Bit Of This & A Little Bit Of That

(Taken this morning in my garden, 'Queen Elizabeth' grandiflora (pink) & 'Love' grandiflora (red) opened as the fog lifted).

Only one day before July is finished once again. I'm amazed at how quickly the year is passing by, but I'm glad Summer is getting on with itself. The heat, humidity & storms have been much to bear this year. Autumn is quickly approaching and that excites me so! Makes me a little sad as well - Summer, for me, seems endless while Autumn passes by in a flash!

July 21st was a day I dreaded deeply, but glad we all got through unscathed (or so it seems). In the morning, we spread Dad's ashes where we spread my mother.in.law's 2005 then headed to his old firehouse where the fire company & family honored him. When asked to speak, the only thing I managed through my choking tears was that I love him. It was such a long day. When we walked through our front door, I was so glad to be home.   That night was the first night I slept through in Months. 

What I wanted to say, but knew I probably wouldn't be able to was: As much as I have loved him, I will miss him.

And I do.

I stopped writing the day we lost Dad, as if a switch has been flipped to "off." I tried writing my gardening memoir column for The #gardenchat Blog the Saturday after Independence Day about the peaches ripening at our Skylands home, but I couldn't get past the same two paragraphs all day & finally gave up that evening. I'm not all that surprised. It's part of what happens to me when I go through something deeply upsetting or traumatic. I've started journaling again recently, now making the effort to do so daily, to help break through the dreaded wall of writers block as well as everything else going on.

During times like this in my writing I turn to my sure to inspire sources: The audio book of Julia Cameron's Walking In The World, any of the three versions of Katherine Stockett's The Help (audio book, novel or movie) and the movie versions of Little Women, which has, of course, sparked my annual Summer delving into all things Louisa May Alcott. (This also happens in the Winter, beginning around Christmastime, the other time of year when I seem to hibernate indoors much of the time due to weather & health).

I've often spoke of how Louisa's Jo March inspired me to write (when I was 11 years old, the age I discovered Little Women) and she still does! I adore the world Louisa May created with Little Women. It deeply resonates with me for reasons I'm still unsure of.

I've started reading The Lost Summer Of Louisa May Alcott by Kelly O'Connor McNees. I tried it once before and didn't get far. This time it's moving along.

Speaking of moving along: Mother has her hernia surgery this Thursday. It's supposed to be a simple procedure with a quick recovery. Let's hope that's the case. It's up to her what happens. I'm not holding my breath if that gives you any clue as to my expectations given her attitude of late.

One more hurtle in a year of many to conquer.

More to come...

Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Enchanted Garden Party

Welcome to my post! To visit other participants, please head over to the Practical Magic Blog Party 2010 blog. I must say that while I think Practical Magic the movie is adorable, I think the novel is incredible. And that is where I gleaned my inspiration from for these festivities. Gardens are mysterious, magical and enchanting, don't you think? Now follow me out into the garden, I have everything all ready for you, including music! (Turn your volume on). *Update: Music has reverted to my regular Fall soundtrack, 9/28/2010* For all of you non Practical Magic Blog Party folks, head on over to NJ Through My Eyes where I've posted 2 new slide-shows today; one is a preview of a new project I'm working on!

2009 Halloween Fete! (Saturday October 17, 2009) **UPDATED!** This shindig is still going strong!

Welcome! I'm so happy to have had so many visitors already! I must apologize for not being ready for you earlier! I also apologize for the wacky font sizes throughout my post. No matter how hard I try, I can't correct them. If music doesn't begin playing shortly after your arrival, scroll down until you see a purple music widget begin to load in the left hand column and wait until you hear the music before scrolling back up here. Happy Halloween Fete 2009! Love and Spookiness to All! ~Jo (Continue scrolling down until the end of the post) Outside, it's a gloomy & cold day here on the NJ coast. Many a restless Spirit wander here on days like this. One can never be too sure if the fog & mist are just as they seem. Inside, it is warm yet equally frightful! Creepy crawlies have gotten into the food & drink, I so hope you don't mind! What with all of the party hopping we're doing, I didn't want you to bust a gut, so I've laid out some Pumpkin Cook

A Walk Through The (Dis)Enchanted Forrest (Halloween Party Post)

Welcome & thank you for visiting my post! For more Halloween fun today & throughout the weekend, visit A Fanciful Twist . For more Halloween & Autumn Fun, check out my "Autumn Tuesday" & "Halloween Thursday" posts by clicking on their labels in the left hand column. ~Happy Halloween & Pumpkin Blessings! *Update for those friends wondering, I put this together prior to surgery yesterday to make sure I would be able to post it for today! (Though it didn't post at 12:01am like it was supposed to). Anyhoo, I'm home and resting (uncomfortably). Surgery went well, my kidney tube and stone are gone! I have an internal stent on the left hand side but I'm okay with that because it comes out in the doctor's office in 2-3 weeks (no back to the hospital) and especially because it meant they could take that nephrostomy tube out! (The last nearly 2 weeks of that 15 weeks was rough with that thing, my body was simultaneously trying to heal aroun