Skip to main content
The Kitchen HouseThe Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


 I was disappointed with this read, it was not what I expected.  Very disappointed, I wanted to like this novel but just couldn't.  Too melodramatic and at times unrealistic, too contemporary (despite it being historical fiction) 'Gone With The Wind' for my tastes.  Too much in one novel about too many people facing nearly every imaginable awful hardship a human can endure at the time it takes place. Emotions are written about but I often couldn't feel them.  There was a lack of depth at times.  And I felt like so many aspects of the novel were familiar, as if I was seeing things from history, other novels and movies. It was hard at times keeping everything strait. I do not shy away from reads that deal with the issues & horrors of slavery and indentured servants but I didn't care for how this novel told those stories.   


View all my reviews

I am facilitating the chat on this book for evening bookclub this week and I do think it's going to be a very interesting time!  Many liked it, a few of us didn't.

And I for one want to know why there's no controversy surrounding this novel?  Gone With The Wind is beloved but it is not without controversy!  Sue Monk Kidd (The Secret Life Of Bees) and Katherine Stockett were highly criticized for writing from the points of view of their black women characters, why has this not happened with Kathleen Grissom?  I have Googled to the point of delirium and can find nothing much to speak of.  Her bio background is vague and her telling of how she came to write this novel reminds me of how Stephanie Myer came to write the first Twilight novel (which I am more inclined to believe).

I'll update this post after the evening bookclub chat!

*Update 4/25/12:  Last night was a lot of fun and not just because it was our first book chat back at our newly renovated Library!  2 of us, including yours truly, didn't like the book, one was so-so about it and the other 8 gals loved it!  And honestly, I am so relieved!  I was truly disappointed by this novel, as I've said before, but I am very happy that so many of the bookclub enjoyed it!  We had a great, sometimes rowdy discussion and all in all went very well.

I'm always a wreck before facilitating a chat and of the 5 I have done (2 for the winter short story chats and this being my 3rd for the evening club), they're going more smoothly as time passes which is a big relief!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Enchanted Garden Party

Welcome to my post! To visit other participants, please head over to the Practical Magic Blog Party 2010 blog. I must say that while I think Practical Magic the movie is adorable, I think the novel is incredible. And that is where I gleaned my inspiration from for these festivities. Gardens are mysterious, magical and enchanting, don't you think? Now follow me out into the garden, I have everything all ready for you, including music! (Turn your volume on). *Update: Music has reverted to my regular Fall soundtrack, 9/28/2010* For all of you non Practical Magic Blog Party folks, head on over to NJ Through My Eyes where I've posted 2 new slide-shows today; one is a preview of a new project I'm working on!

2009 Halloween Fete! (Saturday October 17, 2009) **UPDATED!** This shindig is still going strong!

Welcome! I'm so happy to have had so many visitors already! I must apologize for not being ready for you earlier! I also apologize for the wacky font sizes throughout my post. No matter how hard I try, I can't correct them. If music doesn't begin playing shortly after your arrival, scroll down until you see a purple music widget begin to load in the left hand column and wait until you hear the music before scrolling back up here. Happy Halloween Fete 2009! Love and Spookiness to All! ~Jo (Continue scrolling down until the end of the post) Outside, it's a gloomy & cold day here on the NJ coast. Many a restless Spirit wander here on days like this. One can never be too sure if the fog & mist are just as they seem. Inside, it is warm yet equally frightful! Creepy crawlies have gotten into the food & drink, I so hope you don't mind! What with all of the party hopping we're doing, I didn't want you to bust a gut, so I've laid out some Pumpkin Cook

A Walk Through The (Dis)Enchanted Forrest (Halloween Party Post)

Welcome & thank you for visiting my post! For more Halloween fun today & throughout the weekend, visit A Fanciful Twist . For more Halloween & Autumn Fun, check out my "Autumn Tuesday" & "Halloween Thursday" posts by clicking on their labels in the left hand column. ~Happy Halloween & Pumpkin Blessings! *Update for those friends wondering, I put this together prior to surgery yesterday to make sure I would be able to post it for today! (Though it didn't post at 12:01am like it was supposed to). Anyhoo, I'm home and resting (uncomfortably). Surgery went well, my kidney tube and stone are gone! I have an internal stent on the left hand side but I'm okay with that because it comes out in the doctor's office in 2-3 weeks (no back to the hospital) and especially because it meant they could take that nephrostomy tube out! (The last nearly 2 weeks of that 15 weeks was rough with that thing, my body was simultaneously trying to heal aroun