Skip to main content

Thursday Thoughts & Tidbits

It's been a long time since I did a 'Thursday Thoughts & Tidbits' post. I don't force topics but I sure go with them when inspiration knocks!

I've been journaling a lot again and feeling better. I feel totally scattered when I'm not journaling on a regular basis for an extended period of time.

I didn't even place in that photo contest I entered last month and no lie, I'm a little disappointed, but if 'at first you don't succeed, try try again!' and I will.

When life gives me lemons, do I make lemonade?
No, I make zucchini bread!
(I march to the beat of my own drum baby!)

Our heat wave broke yesterday, it's been breezy with temps in the 70's and I couldn't resist the urge any longer. When I mentioned on Twitter earlier this afternoon that I was baking the first loaves of zucchini bread of the season, friend Lisa (of Lit and Life) said I should sell them at a local farmer's market. That stuck with me through the afternoon. Inspired me.

I don't do a lot of baking (breads, cakes & brownies mostly) but I have a lot of fun with what I do bake, especially my zucchini breads and spice cakes. I've decided to work on my different zucchini bread recipes this Summer and Fall, 'prefect' them as well as try a couple of new ones I've had my mind on and prepare for next year's farmer's market!

Now, Hubbs has been telling me for a few years now that I should make prints of my local photo's and flower shots to sell at the farmer's market so I just might do both!

Why not, right?

Despite a Cat Bird feasting on my (Brandywine) Raspberries all day long, I was able to get quite a few for myself. There's nothing quite like eating a fresh picked berry warm from the sun that you've grown yourself.

Hey now, who says Raspberries and containers don't mix?! It's definitely a lesson in patience but I can assure you it can be done. To date I've harvested 220 berries, the most I've ever (ever!) had. The number of berries I've harvested from 2006 through last year last year wouldn't even come close to that number. There's roughly 100 more forming now which will begin to ripen over the next couple of week's.

Look for my upcoming post/article on growing Raspberries in containers.

I've been reading an absolutely delightful book, "Roots Shoots Buckets & Boots" by Sharon Lovejoy (who also has a great blog) and whether or not you have children, if you garden, you should read this book!

And Now it's time for the "Tidbit" portion of our program this evening. Er, I mean, my post:

If you have Woolly Aphids in your garden, to get rid of them, you can use 1 teaspoon of dish soap (not dish detergent!), less than an 1/8th teaspoon of cayenne pepper (like a "dash") and a quart of water, mixed well and put into a spray bottle. Spray where ever you see the Aphids. (Do your best not to spray fruits and veggies directly, just their foliage). You will most likely have to keep doing this every few days throughout the rest of the season but it's a safe way to dispose of them.

I was on 'aphid death squad patrol' last weekend & today, for as long as it takes!
(This year's infestation out back is Much worse than last year's).

Another tidbit: If you have to spray flower heads themselves, please make sure it's not at a time when bees of any kind are active and pollinating your flowers as they may become victims of the spray if they go to the flowers before they've completely dried.

I hope you've all enjoyed your Thursday as much as I have!

Comments

Anonymous said…
There is nothing like a berry warmed by the sun that you've grown yourself. Glad the weather broke, and you're feeling better Jo.

On the photo contest, do try again.~~Dee
Thank you on all counts Dee. And I will try again, promise!
Mrs. Fry said…
now, do you have a remedy for getting rid of ants?

Popular posts from this blog

An Enchanted Garden Party

Welcome to my post! To visit other participants, please head over to the Practical Magic Blog Party 2010 blog. I must say that while I think Practical Magic the movie is adorable, I think the novel is incredible. And that is where I gleaned my inspiration from for these festivities. Gardens are mysterious, magical and enchanting, don't you think? Now follow me out into the garden, I have everything all ready for you, including music! (Turn your volume on). *Update: Music has reverted to my regular Fall soundtrack, 9/28/2010* For all of you non Practical Magic Blog Party folks, head on over to NJ Through My Eyes where I've posted 2 new slide-shows today; one is a preview of a new project I'm working on!

2009 Halloween Fete! (Saturday October 17, 2009) **UPDATED!** This shindig is still going strong!

Welcome! I'm so happy to have had so many visitors already! I must apologize for not being ready for you earlier! I also apologize for the wacky font sizes throughout my post. No matter how hard I try, I can't correct them. If music doesn't begin playing shortly after your arrival, scroll down until you see a purple music widget begin to load in the left hand column and wait until you hear the music before scrolling back up here. Happy Halloween Fete 2009! Love and Spookiness to All! ~Jo (Continue scrolling down until the end of the post) Outside, it's a gloomy & cold day here on the NJ coast. Many a restless Spirit wander here on days like this. One can never be too sure if the fog & mist are just as they seem. Inside, it is warm yet equally frightful! Creepy crawlies have gotten into the food & drink, I so hope you don't mind! What with all of the party hopping we're doing, I didn't want you to bust a gut, so I've laid out some Pumpkin Cook

A Walk Through The (Dis)Enchanted Forrest (Halloween Party Post)

Welcome & thank you for visiting my post! For more Halloween fun today & throughout the weekend, visit A Fanciful Twist . For more Halloween & Autumn Fun, check out my "Autumn Tuesday" & "Halloween Thursday" posts by clicking on their labels in the left hand column. ~Happy Halloween & Pumpkin Blessings! *Update for those friends wondering, I put this together prior to surgery yesterday to make sure I would be able to post it for today! (Though it didn't post at 12:01am like it was supposed to). Anyhoo, I'm home and resting (uncomfortably). Surgery went well, my kidney tube and stone are gone! I have an internal stent on the left hand side but I'm okay with that because it comes out in the doctor's office in 2-3 weeks (no back to the hospital) and especially because it meant they could take that nephrostomy tube out! (The last nearly 2 weeks of that 15 weeks was rough with that thing, my body was simultaneously trying to heal aroun