Skip to main content

A Sabatical Of A Different Kind

For those of you who don't already know, I'm currently in the hospital in an adult critical care unit trying to get rid of a very dangerous infection. (Nothing that's contagious but still has deadly potential).

Without going into too much horrifying detail, I've had a drain tube inserted into my left kidney through my back to help it function because coincidentally when the infection kicked in & things swelled, a kidney stone was passing and got trapped, blocking flow. (The stone or stones apparently are not what's caused the infection). They couldn't knock me out for this proceedure because my fever when I arrived here was 103.6 and it was too dangerous. They gave me enough to take away "80%" of the pain. I was terrified (scared out of my every living mind and soul by this point) but thankfully it went quick and there were no complications.

It takes 5 to 7 days for this kind of infection to run it's course. Aside from the drain tube, I'm constanly hooked up to a fluids iv and in addition have a daily anitbiotics iv treatment and what ever else is necessary in addtion to pain meds & tylenol as needed. I have to be here for 24 hours without a fever before they can CT me again to see if that "very very tiny" stone has been able to pass on its' own or not. (If not they will then remove it but only if I don't have a fever). Please pray with me that this stone passes on its' own without complications and that I don't require a second surgery! (I really really appreciate it, thank you).

I had no idea I was "life or death" sick on the verge of death. I really didn't. I've lived with illness for so many years and there wasn't anything different, to me, going on that signaled to me that I needed to get here. I've felt that way before and it's passed in a day or so which is what I thought would happen this time. Obviously not!

We were up at our little lakeside retreat for the 4th of July holiday weekend. Hubbs wanted to pack up, get back down near home and bring me here on Sunday but I just wanted to rest. Monday he woke me early and told me he was packing us up, we were heading home and he was calling my doctor's answering service on the way because heat was radiating off me, heating up the bedroom. I didn't argue. I believe we got home in record time. Shortly after, my doctor's partner returned his call and told him it sounded like I had an infection and to get me to an emergency room "now, don't wait." He didn't. And so here I've been since 11am Monday morning.

I'm improving (slowly) but it's hard once Hubbs leaves when visiting hours end at 8p. (He had to go back to work yesterday so I'm only seeing him for a few hours a day now). I miss him and being home with him so much it brings me to tears. But I'm trying the best I can overall and not get upset. I've had other visitors, get well care packages & oddles of phone calls which helps me to keep my Spirits up. And of course Mom's taken the 'day shift' now that Hubbs is back at work.

And so I leave you now as I continue my sabbatical towards recovery and getting home. Take care until next time friends!

Comments

Oh my, so sorry to hear that! Hope you get better soon!! Sending good thoughts your way.

Cheers!
Anonymous said…
Oh my goodness Jo. I've been bad and haven't checked your blog recently and now I read this. I'll of course keep your recovery in my prayers. I can't imagine being stuck in the acu. I wish I could come visit you. Maybe I could some how call you, even if it's just for a little hello! :)
Miss you lots!
Anonymous said…
P.S. Oh I started a new blog....check it out and let me know what you think! :) Wish I could text you....darn cell phone rules in hospitals. :(
dragyonfly said…
Hey that was a hell of a kidney stone, eh?

Popular posts from this blog

An Enchanted Garden Party

Welcome to my post! To visit other participants, please head over to the Practical Magic Blog Party 2010 blog. I must say that while I think Practical Magic the movie is adorable, I think the novel is incredible. And that is where I gleaned my inspiration from for these festivities. Gardens are mysterious, magical and enchanting, don't you think? Now follow me out into the garden, I have everything all ready for you, including music! (Turn your volume on). *Update: Music has reverted to my regular Fall soundtrack, 9/28/2010* For all of you non Practical Magic Blog Party folks, head on over to NJ Through My Eyes where I've posted 2 new slide-shows today; one is a preview of a new project I'm working on!

2009 Halloween Fete! (Saturday October 17, 2009) **UPDATED!** This shindig is still going strong!

Welcome! I'm so happy to have had so many visitors already! I must apologize for not being ready for you earlier! I also apologize for the wacky font sizes throughout my post. No matter how hard I try, I can't correct them. If music doesn't begin playing shortly after your arrival, scroll down until you see a purple music widget begin to load in the left hand column and wait until you hear the music before scrolling back up here. Happy Halloween Fete 2009! Love and Spookiness to All! ~Jo (Continue scrolling down until the end of the post) Outside, it's a gloomy & cold day here on the NJ coast. Many a restless Spirit wander here on days like this. One can never be too sure if the fog & mist are just as they seem. Inside, it is warm yet equally frightful! Creepy crawlies have gotten into the food & drink, I so hope you don't mind! What with all of the party hopping we're doing, I didn't want you to bust a gut, so I've laid out some Pumpkin Cook

A Walk Through The (Dis)Enchanted Forrest (Halloween Party Post)

Welcome & thank you for visiting my post! For more Halloween fun today & throughout the weekend, visit A Fanciful Twist . For more Halloween & Autumn Fun, check out my "Autumn Tuesday" & "Halloween Thursday" posts by clicking on their labels in the left hand column. ~Happy Halloween & Pumpkin Blessings! *Update for those friends wondering, I put this together prior to surgery yesterday to make sure I would be able to post it for today! (Though it didn't post at 12:01am like it was supposed to). Anyhoo, I'm home and resting (uncomfortably). Surgery went well, my kidney tube and stone are gone! I have an internal stent on the left hand side but I'm okay with that because it comes out in the doctor's office in 2-3 weeks (no back to the hospital) and especially because it meant they could take that nephrostomy tube out! (The last nearly 2 weeks of that 15 weeks was rough with that thing, my body was simultaneously trying to heal aroun