Skip to main content

Not a bad day

My head is feeling better but there's a spot on my right tonsil again & it's pretty swollen too, keeps making me cough. My thoat is beat red though doesn't really hurt - strep for me is like a healthy persons sore throat, little or no discomfort usually. (I have a high pain tolerance). Tonsilitis or a combo of strep & tonsilitis hurts like hell though!

Not wanting actual "dinner" food as the thought made me queasy & knowing I have to eat (no appetite for food or liquids when I'm sick which isn't good I know - would be nice if I lost some weight as a result but those days are over!) I cooked up a pot of lentil soup late this afternoon. First time I ever made it & Hubby didn't look thrilled with the idea of it for dinner but said "This is actually pretty good!" I was glad! (Being sick never makes one a good judge of flavor!)

I added 3 tblspns ev olive oil to a large pot & heated on med high, dumped in 1 & a half onions chopped small, a couple of handfuls of shredded carrot, a few tspns minced garlic, quarter tspn of sea salt and a tspn of cumin seeds and stirred to keep everything coated with the olive oil & so nothing burned, about 10 minutes. Then I added a bag of lentils (already rinsed in cold water), a can of diced tomato's w/the juice, a can of diced potato's (rinsed in cold water), a container of low sodium veggie broth (equals 4 cups) and then added about 4 to 6 cups of water along with fresh ground pepper, 2 bay leaves and a dash of garlic powder. After bringing it to a boil, you simmer on low for about an hour or until the lentils are soft. Once you get it to this point you can turn the stove to the lowest it will go & place the pot top just so a little bit of steam can get out and keep it that way until you're ready for it.

15 - 20 minutes before serving I added all the spices again (except the bay leaves) plus some red pepper flakes, a half mini can of V8 juice and a few dashes of worsteshire sauce, placed the lid back on & bumped the heat up just a bit.

I split & toasted up some Foodtown bakery bisquits & broke out the Saltines. Hubby ate 2 bowls, I managed 1.

It's always great to have a well stocked pantry, for bad weather and bad health!

I watched Barbara Walters' interview with Patrick Swayze tonight. Heart breaking & inspirational at the same time.

Is it knowing that the disease you have can kill you at any given moment the reason people with Cancer seem to fight so passionately compared with someone like myself who has a disease I will live with the rest of my life, where I'm not really in iminent danger? (At least not right now - I have been in the past).

Oh great. The chick upstairs & her "just friend" are doing more than just friendly stuff - again. Gotta love apartment living at times!

Comments

Lizzi said…
Glad you're feeling a little better. Your lentil soup sounds delicious! I'm going to have to try your recipe. There's nothing like a warm bowl of soup in the winter.
Thanks Lizzi! It was pretty good - I surprised myself! (And my Husband I think!) I was exhausted & thankkful it simmered for an hour so I could go back on the couch! I love soup or stew in the winter, especially if the weather's nasty and one of us isn't feeling well.

I hope it turns out well if you try it! (You may want to add a bit more sea salt than I did though - I've got sodium issues and tend to low ball any salt I use in cooking).
Anonymous said…
Oh no, Jo! We used to have neighbors like that too.
I'm glad you're feeling better. We fixed a pot of homemade chicken noodle soup the other night & it was so good.

I think people who have terminal illnesses tend to appreciate life more than most people because they don't know how long they have to live. The same goes with when you have a loved one dying, I think the family stops and realizes how important the person is to them and how precious time is at that moment.
At least all we can hear with this new tenant & her "friend" above us is the bed frame creaking! We knew more about the old tenants than anyone should ever know about people they aren't living with! (YEESH!)

Popular posts from this blog

An Enchanted Garden Party

Welcome to my post! To visit other participants, please head over to the Practical Magic Blog Party 2010 blog. I must say that while I think Practical Magic the movie is adorable, I think the novel is incredible. And that is where I gleaned my inspiration from for these festivities. Gardens are mysterious, magical and enchanting, don't you think? Now follow me out into the garden, I have everything all ready for you, including music! (Turn your volume on). *Update: Music has reverted to my regular Fall soundtrack, 9/28/2010* For all of you non Practical Magic Blog Party folks, head on over to NJ Through My Eyes where I've posted 2 new slide-shows today; one is a preview of a new project I'm working on!

2009 Halloween Fete! (Saturday October 17, 2009) **UPDATED!** This shindig is still going strong!

Welcome! I'm so happy to have had so many visitors already! I must apologize for not being ready for you earlier! I also apologize for the wacky font sizes throughout my post. No matter how hard I try, I can't correct them. If music doesn't begin playing shortly after your arrival, scroll down until you see a purple music widget begin to load in the left hand column and wait until you hear the music before scrolling back up here. Happy Halloween Fete 2009! Love and Spookiness to All! ~Jo (Continue scrolling down until the end of the post) Outside, it's a gloomy & cold day here on the NJ coast. Many a restless Spirit wander here on days like this. One can never be too sure if the fog & mist are just as they seem. Inside, it is warm yet equally frightful! Creepy crawlies have gotten into the food & drink, I so hope you don't mind! What with all of the party hopping we're doing, I didn't want you to bust a gut, so I've laid out some Pumpkin Cook

A Walk Through The (Dis)Enchanted Forrest (Halloween Party Post)

Welcome & thank you for visiting my post! For more Halloween fun today & throughout the weekend, visit A Fanciful Twist . For more Halloween & Autumn Fun, check out my "Autumn Tuesday" & "Halloween Thursday" posts by clicking on their labels in the left hand column. ~Happy Halloween & Pumpkin Blessings! *Update for those friends wondering, I put this together prior to surgery yesterday to make sure I would be able to post it for today! (Though it didn't post at 12:01am like it was supposed to). Anyhoo, I'm home and resting (uncomfortably). Surgery went well, my kidney tube and stone are gone! I have an internal stent on the left hand side but I'm okay with that because it comes out in the doctor's office in 2-3 weeks (no back to the hospital) and especially because it meant they could take that nephrostomy tube out! (The last nearly 2 weeks of that 15 weeks was rough with that thing, my body was simultaneously trying to heal aroun