Skip to main content

Twas The Sunday Before Christmas

I was so tired last night I couldn't sleep! After being up early to go for breakfast (in the pouring rain which washed away our pretty coating of snow) & food shopping, I set to cleaning the spare room which has been a catch all for misc items and been used more by the cats than any humans! Of course it took longer than it should've since the vaccuum clogged twice but after getting it mostly situated, Hubby & Nephew threw out all the garbage, brought some of Nephew's things up from the basment & helped me put the rest of the house back together! (Why is it when cleaning 1 room, ALL the others get messy in the process?!)

The sleeper love seat is now in the spare room, replaced by a large odiman in the living room making the spare room an actual bedroom and the living room more spacious. The coat closet in the hall has been completely cleared out & all contents moved into a closet in the spare bedroom so that the coat closet may now house the kitties litter box (since it was in the spare room). They've all found it but are rather confused as every time one would get into this particular closet, we yelled at them to get out!

Before starting all this I threw a pot of Kapusta together to simmer on the stove all day. Vic said it turned out better than last time (my first time making it) & said it was really good. I wasn't hungry for dinner so I may try it today.

And as you can see, Vic was setting up his train last night, but he was a little too tired & didn't have the patience to get it just right so the cars won't hop off the tracks so he gave up!

Nephew had a life long friend & his fiance visit last night - they both seem like great people! I wasn't expecting company & could've boxed Nephew's ears given how I looked after a day of cleaning but got to talking w/her about books & health (she has immune problems too).

I closed up my Autumn journal last night too - I only journaled 3 & a half pages in 3 months, how truly pathetic. (I also haven't taken my vitamins for 3 months and I wonder why I'm feeling like crap?!) I started writing in my Winter journal last night & continued this morning. (I also got back on the vitamins this am too!)

Today I've got to tackle our bedroom (Lordy where to begin?) and do laundry. Tomorrow it's Christmas w/G from Chicago! I can't wait to see her. Giftin', knittin', eatin' and laughin' is what that's all about!

Right now Vic's on his way to the Veteran's hospital in North Brunswick with some of our Post Members to give out presents for Christmas. We gave our Toys for Tots donations last weekend - 1 toy each for a boy & a girl. (Vic picked them both out & they're great, I'll have to post that pic later).

Comments

Anonymous said…
My gosh, Jo! You are a busy gal. What is Kapusca?? Do tell!
Kapusta is basically Polish cabbage soup - it literally means cabbage; huddle; mess! (Don't ask me, I got that from our Polish/English dictionary). It's definately an aquired taste which Hubby's used to but I'm not yet!

In case anyone's intested, here's the recipe:

You take chopped scallions (1 bunch) & onions (2) and begin browning them in butter in a large soup pot, then add pork spare ribs and stir for a few moments - drain a bag of saurkraut & rinse with cold water then add to the pot followed by pepper corns (about 8), 2 tspns of minced garlic, 5 sprinkles of carroway seeds, a dash of powdered garlic & some ground pepper - lower heat & keep stirring so nothing burns - chop keilbasa into small bite side pieces & add to pot - shred cabbage leaves until you start to reach the white leaves (then stop! use the greener leaves & cut the hard spine out of the middle of the leaves) or use a bag of pre-shredded cabbage & add to pot - add a can of beer and then add water to cover & bring to a low boil for about 20 minutes and then reduce heat to simmer - simmer until pork is falling off the bones (or very obviously cooked, sometimes it doesn't fall off!).

5 minutes before serving, add a 1/2 can of beer and all of your spices above again, stir well and bring back to a low boil.

Serve with russian rye bread & butter.

Let cool & put pot in fridge over night - skim fat from top before reheating or freezing left overs.
I should add this is the recipe as close to what Vic's parent's made while he was growing up - I've got "Treasured Polish Recipes" and there are dozens upon dozens of Kapusta recipes in there! The main ingriedient is always some kind of cabbage, other than that, it's pretty much anything you want! (There's Kapusta with apples, you name it!)
And I forgot: 2 bay leaves when you put the spices in the 1st time.

Popular posts from this blog

An Enchanted Garden Party

Welcome to my post! To visit other participants, please head over to the Practical Magic Blog Party 2010 blog. I must say that while I think Practical Magic the movie is adorable, I think the novel is incredible. And that is where I gleaned my inspiration from for these festivities. Gardens are mysterious, magical and enchanting, don't you think? Now follow me out into the garden, I have everything all ready for you, including music! (Turn your volume on). *Update: Music has reverted to my regular Fall soundtrack, 9/28/2010* For all of you non Practical Magic Blog Party folks, head on over to NJ Through My Eyes where I've posted 2 new slide-shows today; one is a preview of a new project I'm working on!

2009 Halloween Fete! (Saturday October 17, 2009) **UPDATED!** This shindig is still going strong!

Welcome! I'm so happy to have had so many visitors already! I must apologize for not being ready for you earlier! I also apologize for the wacky font sizes throughout my post. No matter how hard I try, I can't correct them. If music doesn't begin playing shortly after your arrival, scroll down until you see a purple music widget begin to load in the left hand column and wait until you hear the music before scrolling back up here. Happy Halloween Fete 2009! Love and Spookiness to All! ~Jo (Continue scrolling down until the end of the post) Outside, it's a gloomy & cold day here on the NJ coast. Many a restless Spirit wander here on days like this. One can never be too sure if the fog & mist are just as they seem. Inside, it is warm yet equally frightful! Creepy crawlies have gotten into the food & drink, I so hope you don't mind! What with all of the party hopping we're doing, I didn't want you to bust a gut, so I've laid out some Pumpkin Cook

A Walk Through The (Dis)Enchanted Forrest (Halloween Party Post)

Welcome & thank you for visiting my post! For more Halloween fun today & throughout the weekend, visit A Fanciful Twist . For more Halloween & Autumn Fun, check out my "Autumn Tuesday" & "Halloween Thursday" posts by clicking on their labels in the left hand column. ~Happy Halloween & Pumpkin Blessings! *Update for those friends wondering, I put this together prior to surgery yesterday to make sure I would be able to post it for today! (Though it didn't post at 12:01am like it was supposed to). Anyhoo, I'm home and resting (uncomfortably). Surgery went well, my kidney tube and stone are gone! I have an internal stent on the left hand side but I'm okay with that because it comes out in the doctor's office in 2-3 weeks (no back to the hospital) and especially because it meant they could take that nephrostomy tube out! (The last nearly 2 weeks of that 15 weeks was rough with that thing, my body was simultaneously trying to heal aroun