Skip to main content
i was voted in charge of coming up with the topic this month for the writing group and i initially suggested writing about "what we want to do with 2008."

then i became inspired by barbara abercrombie's "kitchen tables" post on her blog writing time.net! (www.writingtime.net) barbara talked about how the idea for the site was cooked up (so to speak!) one day at the kitchen table w/her daughter. another inspired woman wrote about how she wrote on her blog about how her front porch is magical when she puts pen to paper. overall it made me think about where i do my writing at home. (i say "at home" because out of my own doing, i generally do not have the opportunity to write away from home).

so i then emailed the girls and told them of being inspired and suggested that in addition to or instead of my original topic, why not write about "where we feel most inspired" to do writing or just come up with idea's?!

so, here's the piece i wrote and emailed to them today: (we voted on a "cyberspace" email meeting in lieu of getting together at whole foods today!)

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 11:21:37 AM (partially written on 1/22/08)
I’ve always tended to be the “I write when and where the mood strikes” kind of gal, though lately I’m more likely to be struck by lightning than the urge to write! And when I think about it, I’m not sure where I feel the most inspired because when I’m feeling anything but inspired it’s difficult to recall those creative times! (Yes, even when inspiration appeared less than a week ago!)

I will say that I tend to feel more comfortable trying to write in an area that’s clean & straitened up and not only because it distracts me to the point where I feel I have to clean instead of write! (Cluttered surroundings, cluttered mind!) Come to think of it, this may account for why I don’t have a specific area here at home where I write because the house is never clean and straitened up as a whole at the same time ~ ever!!! (Something I am making an effort to change in 2008!) This goes for when a room is in transition too.

I’ve written in nearly every room of our house except the spare room and bathroom! (Yup, I’ve even written in the basement ~ not the crawl space under us! Our basement is in the building directly across from us!) I’ve had idea’s come to me while lying in bed, trying to fall asleep or after waking but before being up & about. I’ve been compelled to type away at the computer (also in our bedroom) and I’ve hand written page after page sitting at the kitchen table or out on the patio.

Speaking of the kitchen table, there must be something about our kitchen beyond the cooking, the food and the make-shift office area for the apartment complex! Many, many times I spread out and set up shop in here to write and read. (Even though these chairs aggravate my back and my legs in general! Yes, I’ve heard of cushions! I just never think of them when I’m out shopping!)

At the risk of sounding corny and cliché, there’s just a good vibe in here! Friends and family tend to gravitate and congregate in here regardless of the fact our living room can easily sit more than 8 people at one time! The cats spend a good portion of their days in here too, plastered to the patio doors sniffing the air and watching birds, squirrels and the occasional wood rat stop by for bird seed and old bread & chips.

The patio doors double as floor to nearly ceiling windows which let in lots of natural light and help to make it feel bigger. Vic built and hung a rack underneath the cabinets over the sink, so my favorite mugs are always on display. There are all sorts of chachki’s on shelves and the walls. The walls themselves are a work in progress since my beautiful pale garden green turned out looking like minty pistachio ice cream! (A color I have nothing against, it’s just not what I wanted!)

In writing this, I have realized that I need to expand myself beyond the boundaries of our home when it comes to writing. I do so when we’re away for a few days, why not just in general?! I love taking walks, but I don’t usually think about writing while doing it. Why not?! I also love spending time in garden nurseries in the spring & summer. Nothing leaves me feeling more inspired, alive and connected! So why not write while still riding that high?! (More to make an effort on in 2008!)

Comments

windy city girl said…
YAY! The writing group sounds like it's going to be fun. Keep me posted!

Popular posts from this blog

An Enchanted Garden Party

Welcome to my post! To visit other participants, please head over to the Practical Magic Blog Party 2010 blog. I must say that while I think Practical Magic the movie is adorable, I think the novel is incredible. And that is where I gleaned my inspiration from for these festivities. Gardens are mysterious, magical and enchanting, don't you think? Now follow me out into the garden, I have everything all ready for you, including music! (Turn your volume on). *Update: Music has reverted to my regular Fall soundtrack, 9/28/2010* For all of you non Practical Magic Blog Party folks, head on over to NJ Through My Eyes where I've posted 2 new slide-shows today; one is a preview of a new project I'm working on!

2009 Halloween Fete! (Saturday October 17, 2009) **UPDATED!** This shindig is still going strong!

Welcome! I'm so happy to have had so many visitors already! I must apologize for not being ready for you earlier! I also apologize for the wacky font sizes throughout my post. No matter how hard I try, I can't correct them. If music doesn't begin playing shortly after your arrival, scroll down until you see a purple music widget begin to load in the left hand column and wait until you hear the music before scrolling back up here. Happy Halloween Fete 2009! Love and Spookiness to All! ~Jo (Continue scrolling down until the end of the post) Outside, it's a gloomy & cold day here on the NJ coast. Many a restless Spirit wander here on days like this. One can never be too sure if the fog & mist are just as they seem. Inside, it is warm yet equally frightful! Creepy crawlies have gotten into the food & drink, I so hope you don't mind! What with all of the party hopping we're doing, I didn't want you to bust a gut, so I've laid out some Pumpkin Cook

A Walk Through The (Dis)Enchanted Forrest (Halloween Party Post)

Welcome & thank you for visiting my post! For more Halloween fun today & throughout the weekend, visit A Fanciful Twist . For more Halloween & Autumn Fun, check out my "Autumn Tuesday" & "Halloween Thursday" posts by clicking on their labels in the left hand column. ~Happy Halloween & Pumpkin Blessings! *Update for those friends wondering, I put this together prior to surgery yesterday to make sure I would be able to post it for today! (Though it didn't post at 12:01am like it was supposed to). Anyhoo, I'm home and resting (uncomfortably). Surgery went well, my kidney tube and stone are gone! I have an internal stent on the left hand side but I'm okay with that because it comes out in the doctor's office in 2-3 weeks (no back to the hospital) and especially because it meant they could take that nephrostomy tube out! (The last nearly 2 weeks of that 15 weeks was rough with that thing, my body was simultaneously trying to heal aroun